Solar Tour makes stop at local research center

Laura Bryant

With energy use and conservation becoming subjects of greater concern across the nation, Miami University will be hosting part of the Ohio Solar Tour at the Ecology Research Center (ERC) Oct. 7 to help educate students about alternative energy sources.

The Ohio Solar Tour travels across the state of Ohio touring public facilities with energy saving technologies. This October, the tour will be stop at the ERC, just north of Miami's campus off of State Route 732, for an open house at the facility, followed by a workshop discussing passive solar home designs from 10 a.m. to noon. Scott Johnston, the associate professor of architecture and interior design at Miami, will lead the workshop.

Solar technologies use the sun's energy to produce heat, light and electricity, and researchers are trying to find cost-efficient ways of taking this technology into home designs.

One of Johnston's solar designs will be shown at the ERC.

"There is a small classroom that is solar-heated," Johnston said, explaining his design. "There is a large window area with storage walls to collect heat and distribute heat in the evening hours."

Using his solar room as an example, Johnston will discuss uses of solar energy.

"There will be an overview of different kinds of solar systems and which ones are better in south west Ohio," Johnston said.

An open house will begin at 9 a.m., followed by tours of the facility beginning at 1 and 2 p.m. Facilities contain corn and bean field experiments, beehive research, experimental ponds and one of the nation's weather facilities, which is one of two in Ohio. Here, wind and temperature are measured along with acid rain quantity.

Rodney Kolb, station manager of the ERC, is proud of what the center has to offer.

"It is one of the university's best kept secrets," Kolb said. "Freshmen and sophomores do not realize what opportunities they have here."

Kolb said he wishes more students were aware of the 169-acre research center just minutes away from their classes. At the ERC, undergraduates, graduates, and faculty can conduct research in a range of areas, all meant to further their education.

With energy preservation, fear of gasoline shortages, and global warming as front-page issues, this event is meant to show active ways that these topics are being addressed.

And for those students who need a little incentive to attend, the ERC will be selling solar-heated hot dogs. And even if it is cloudy, Johnston said the ERC will find ways to heat the food.

The event is free and is open to the public, however space is limited for the workshop.

For more information about the Ohio Solar Tour go to www.greenenergyohio.org.