Softball splits series with Bowling Green and University of Toledo

The Miami University softball team tries to score a run with a runner on first base during Saturday's game. The RedHawks rank second in the Mid-American Conference East.

Photo by Ian Mark

By Jordan Rinard, Senior Staff Writer

The Miami University softball team fell to second place in the Mid-American Conference East after splitting a series with Bowling Green State University and a series with University of Toledo.

The RedHawks (23-16, 7-3 MAC) notched a 4-1 victory and 4-3 loss against BGSU Friday. Miami beat UT 5-0 Saturday, but fell 3-0 Sunday.

"We wanted to go 3-1, but we went .500. It's still a good weekend for us," head coach Clarisa Crowell said. "We played well, but we couldn't get any timely hits. [Junior pitcher] Amber [Logemann] had a good weekend. We had some good at-bats and opportunities to score. We need to keep our heads up. Our pitching and defense did a good job."

In Friday's first game, Miami scored first when senior outfielder Tiyona Marshall crossed the plate on a fielding error by the Bowling Green (13-19, 4-6 MAC) in the first inning. Junior infielder/designated player Tanya Busby did the same in the third.

The Falcons scored an unearned run in the bottom of the third, but Marshall answered with an RBI and unearned run in the fourth.

Logemann gave up two hits and struck out eight in a complete game. Marshall and Busby each went 2-4 in the game. Marshall tallied two runs and a RBI, while Busby notched one run.

Bowling Green retaliated in the second game by opening up a 4-0 lead after three innings. The 'Hawks rallied, as Marshall and senior shortstop Kylie McChesney each scored an unearned run in the fifth inning, and senior third baseman/pitcher Remy Edwards picked up an RBI in the sixth.

Despite the comeback, three of the four batters in the final inning either grounded out or were thrown out.

Senior pitcher Megan Mattera struggled in the start, allowing four earned runs on six hits in 2 1-3innings of work. Busby went 2-4 with an RBI.

In their first meeting with Toledo (15-24, 2-8 MAC, senior first baseman Shanyn McIntyre scored on a fielding error and senior outfielder delivered a two-run shot in the second to give Miami a 3-0 lead in the second inning. The RedHawks rounded out the scoring with a RBI double from Lipscomb and a RBI from Marshall in the sixth.

Logemann's notched seven strikeouts in a complete game shutout for her 19th win of the season. The win makes her 7-0 in MAC play.

In the second game, the Rockets shut out the Red and White with a run on a solo shot in the first and two RBIs in the fourth. Miami had its chances to score but went 0-5 with runners in scoring position.

Logemann had a rocky start in her third start in four days, allowing three runs on five hits in 4 innings. Marshall and Busby had two hits on the day.

"We tried to take it one game at a time," Busby said. "We did a good job of staying together and fighting together, but it's not what we wanted. We need to tighten things up with our pitching and our hitting. Our defense is doing a good job of keeping us in games. We need to make things simple and if we can put it all together, we're a hard team to beat."

The RedHawks return to Oxford this weekend to host Northern Illinois University in a doubleheader. First pitch is 1 p.m. Friday. Miami's busy weekend continues with a two-game series against Western Michigan University Saturday and Sunday.

"Western Michigan and Northern Illinois are good hitting teams," Crowell said. "Our pitching and defense needs to continue to do a good job. Offensively, we need to score some runs, like we need to do every week."