Softball gets walk-off victory

Miami's Breanna Robinson heads to second during Tuesday's game against EKU which the 'Hawks won 2-1.

Katie Morgan

The Miami University women's softball team clinched its first win at its new stadium Tuesday afternoon. It was a battle to the finish for the RedHawks in their game against Eastern Kentucky University, which saw the 'Hawks walk off with a 2-1 win in the bottom of the seventh inning.

The victory comes after the 'Hawks went 0-4-1 in the Miami Invitational last weekend.

"We were definitely in a rut but we had to keep on trucking," senior Leslie Macedo said. "We've had a hard time communicating, but no one wanted to give up."

Miami fell behind in the third inning by a run, however, first-year relief pitcher Meredith Linch helped the 'Hawks hold their ground. Coming in with the bases loaded and no outs, Linch struck out the next batter and led the team to get out of the inning without more damage done.

"Pitching was definitely the strongest part of our game," Head Coach Kelly Schoenly said. "It could have gotten ugly when Meredith came in with bases loaded and no outs."

The RedHawks kept pushing throughout the game, never giving up ground to the Colonels.

"There were a lot of opportunities for it to go south, but we kept fighting," Macedo said. "They had a lot of good plays."

Miami sent multiple balls back near the fence and to the warning track, however, the Colonels were able to hang on without conceding a run. The momentum changed in the sixth inning when junior Natalie Savona smashed a fly ball deep into center field.

"Though Savona flied out, her hit really set the tone for the next inning," Schoenly said.

Schoenly believes Savona is having a big impact on the team this season, and really developing into a team leader.

"Her spirit and work behind the plate has been doing a lot for the team," Schoenly said. "She's been stepping up into roll that she isn't used to."

With rally caps on, the tables turned in the seventh, in favor of Miami. The 'Hawks were down to their last out when junior Christine Bills sent a ball bouncing off the center field wall, allowing her to reach second with a double.

It was up to first-year Alicia Hogl to keep things alive for Miami. Hogl was able to bounce one down the third baseline, creating a difficult throw for the Colonels Shyenne Hussey. EKU's first baseman, Adriel Foxley, was drawn off the bag by Hussey's throw and Hogl and Foxley collided, while Bills took home.

After much discussion and dispute from EKU's head coach, the umpires finally called Hogl safe, tying the game at one.

After a single to left field from junior Halle Popson, Macedo stepped up to the plate.

"I was completely focused," Macedo said. "We were excited and had all the momentum which makes it a lot easier."

With two on base, Macedo sent a double to left center, allowing Hogl to touch home and give MU the 2-1 victory.

"We are happy to have success," Schoenly said. "(The team)needed it."

Macedo was also very satisfied with the win.

"It was a huge win to carry momentum into the season," Macedo said. "We kept knocking on the door and kept working hard and now we finally have it."

The RedHawks travel to Akron and Athens this weekend to start Mid-American Conference play against Akron and Ohio University.

Miami's Alicia Hogl takes her cuts during the RedHawk's first home victory Tuesday afternoon. Hogl has consistently been a team leader this season.