Skating competitive season

Alyssa Zediker, For The Miami Student

The Miami University synchronized skating team kicks off its competitive season with the Dr. Richard Potter Classic this weekend. All three levels of the synchronized skating team will be competing.

Freshman Alana Christie, a senior team skater, said she is excitedly nervous for her first competition.

"I think the excitement will just overwhelm all the nerves I have," Christie said. "I am just really excited to represent Miami in my first competition."

The Dr. Richard Porter Classic will be held Saturday and Sunday in Ann Arbor, Mich.

Head coach Carla DeGirolamo said this event is one of the most competitive that all three teams attend since most of the national competitors will be at the Dr. Richard Porter Classic.

For DeGirolamo this first competition is a good indicator of how well their performances are progressing, and it also helps her develop a plan for the rest of the season.

"I expect them to go out and skate confidently and aggressively and perform how they have been practicing every day because we aim to practice how we want to perform," DeGirolamo said.

After three months of practice DeGirolamo said she feels the team is prepared for this competition and is excited to see it in a competitive environment.

For senior Shay Kazmi, senior team skater, even though this weekend marks the beginning of the skating competition season, she feels it is bittersweet because it will be her last time competing at the Dr. Richard Porter Classic.

Kazmi said the skaters have been working hard every day for the past three months and over the past few weeks they have been focusing on defining all the elements in order to earn points.

DeGirolamo said the team is feeling extremely confident and well prepared.

"At this point in the season they are looking very strong, so I am very confident in what they will bring to their performance, which is kind of weird because there is usually a little hesitation," DeGirolamo said.

Kazmi and Christie agree with DeGirolamo and cite the last few weeks of solid practices as the reason DeGirolamo feels they will have great performances this weekend.

The team is very talented this season according to DeGirolamo, who also feels they are poised to place very well this weekend and hopes to return with some medals.

"We have given them the tools that they need, and as much as sometimes I want to get out there and skate with them, it is up to them to go out and skate," DeGirolamo said.