Secular students commence 1st awareness week

Dave Matthews

Since the writing of the Constitution, the American judicial system has observed a separation between church and state.

But it wasn't until the beginning of this school year that secularists of Miami University have had their own official group to discuss these opinions, and this week marks the group's first annual Secular Awareness Week at Miami.

"We felt there are a lot of religious groups on campus but not for (the) non-religious," said Treasurer Abby Zofkie. "We're here for a sense of community."

Although the group, which is 100 members strong on Facebook.com, has regularly met at 8 p.m. every Wednesday in 220 Culler Hall, top members of the group think this week will help define themselves for larger Miami community.

"The goal is to spread awareness and to make our presence known for the end of the year," Zofkie said.

The group will have a table set up from noon to 2 p.m. each day this week at the Shriver Center.

Each day looks at a different issue related to secularism. Monday focused on religious awareness, and Tuesday offers a look at skepticism.

Wednesday will take a look at humanism or morality without God, and Thursday will be focused on the separation of church and state.

Friday will review current events and famous atheists and on Sunday, the group will co-sponsor a day of Interfaith Youth Service at Miami.

Most lectures, Zofkie said, will bring in speakers and professors from various departments, such as zoology and botany, to contribute to discussion.

Despite a non-religious approach, the group stressed their inclusive nature and welcomes those of any faith to participate in their discussions.

"We want to clear up some misconceptions (about this week)," Event Coordinator Christine Whalin said. "We're not only atheists or agnostics, and not all atheists and agnostics don't have morals."

The group will host a round table discussion to address this misconception at 6 p.m. Thursday in 102 Bachelor along with Campus Crusade for Christ and Hillel.

The talk will be titled "Can we be good without God?"

Secular Students for Miami will provide constant updates on the group's Facebook page as the week continues.

Later this year, the group hopes to do a big fundraiser at Talawanda schools.

Whalin said all are welcome to the events, despite their faith, to try and learn about the secular side of spirituality.

"We want to show the good sides," Whalin said.