Search for city manager underway

Erin Bowen

After seven years of service as Oxford city manager, Jane Howington resigned from her position in early June, leaving city council to search for her successor.

Wasting no time, Oxford City Council selected Service Director Michael Dreisbach to serve as the interim city manager until a permanent appointment can be made.

"I am always pleased to help out and do what I can for the city," Dreisbach said.

As the interim city manager, Dreisbach is required to enforce the policies of the city and conduct the day-to-day agendas of Oxford.

According to Oxford Vice Mayor Prue Dana, Dreisbach-whose position as service director puts him in charge of all city streets and service-is very qualified and well thought of by the city.

Dreisbach has now been filling the job for approximately two months, and has done well, Dana said.

Aiding the search for a permanent city manager has been Mercer Group Inc., a public managing consulting firm from Colorado. Although Mercer Group Inc. was unable to comment regarding the names of potential candidates, Oxford City Council will meet Aug. 21 to discuss the resumes of those who applied and Dana added that a finalist can be expected, at the latest, by October.

Dana did note that the city is on schedule, hoping to have a new manager within 90 days of Howington's departure.

"We have very specific needs," Dana said. "Our next city manager must have thick skin, be able to stay calm, have knowledge of negotiating, have the stature to meet with the university and be a regional player."

As for Howington, Dana, who was present when Howington submitted her letter of resignation, explained that Howington was recruited by the City of Dayton to become an assistant to the city manager.

"This position is a big step for her," Dana said. "She's responsible to the city manager, but also in charge of over 1,200 employees."

In reflecting on her seven years as city manger, Howington said she looks fondly on both her contributions to the city and the experience she gained.

"I had an invaluable experience and opportunity to serve as Oxford's city manager," Howington said. "The community has wonderful amenities and the ability to create a great quality of life for its residents and visitors."

Howington noted that because Dayton is an urban community with a shifting economic and demographic base, it will present new challenges.

However, Dana is confident that Howington is capable of handling the new position.

Dana also explained Howington will be working specifically in labor negotiations, which involves dealing with the relationship between city employees-from police officers to city clerks and the city itself.

In fact, according to Dana, Oxford has made significant steps toward improving labor negotiations under Howington.

"We are all very sorry to see her go," Dana said, "but when someone gets an opportunity, we can't deny one that opportunity."

Despite her departure from the City of Oxford, Howington said she intends to incorporate a regional course of action.

"The opportunity to assist Dayton as it transitions to a new focus is tremendous and will improve the region as a whole, including Oxford." Howington said.