Scholar to speak on politics, worldwide democratization

Maggie Taylor

Leading scholar of democracy Larry Diamond will speak at 7 p.m. Thursday, April 1 in 100 Art Building. He will try to answer the question of whether the whole world can be democratic.

According to Abdoulaye Saine, associate professor of political science at Miami University, it is a great opportunity to bring Diamond to campus.

"In his generation, (Diamond) might have made the most impact," Saine said. " ... We're very lucky to get him."

A professor of political science and sociology at Stanford University, Diamond is also senior fellow at the university's Hoover Institution. According to the Hoover Institution's Web site, the center is dedicated to studying public policy, politics, economics, international affairs and the domestic and foreign political economy. Diamond is also founding co-editor of the Journal of Democracy.

Diamond has lectured and conducted research in over 25 countries, including Nigeria and Taiwan. He also spent three months as senior adviser to the Coalition Provisional Authority in Baghdad in 2004.

"Larry Diamond is one of the leading scholars in democracy and democratization," Saine said. "He is widely respected, and this lecture is really something students will come to and listen."

Some students agree with Saine in saying they would like to attend the speech.

"I'd really like to attend this lecture because I think the question (that Diamond's posing)-'Can the whole world be democratic?'-can't be possible," sophomore Patrick Giblin said. "I'd like to see what he has to say."

According to Saine, now has never been a better time for this particular lecture, as the issues in democratization have been highlighted by the continuing struggle in Iraq.

"We can learn a lot from him and his experiences," Saine said. "There is no other person better to address Iraq than professor Diamond."

Aside from lecturing and teaching, Diamond has written many books on democracy and foreign policy. In Saine's capstone class, the students are reading Diamond's most recent book "The Spirit of Democracy", an account of the history of democracy, it's current state and what democracy will look like in the future.

"It's a good read on American foreign policy," Saine said.

There will be an open reception and book signing in the Art Building following the lecture. The political science department is also sponsoring a faculty and student seminar with Diamond to take place from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. April 4 in 209 Harrison Hall.