Rudeness is a learning experience

Emily Barriball barribec@muohio.edu

Most Miami University students know "that kid," the one who only thinks of him or herself in class or at the library, without regard to the other people around.

Many students seem to be irritated of "that kid's" lack of respect for others. What most don't know is it's the majority of us that are wrong; we can learn from the actions of "that kid." Here are some situations that can be turned from a negative experience to a lesson on social etiquette.

Situation One: "that kid" in class who answers all the questions. Every class has one of these characters, and usually he or she is annoying, but can end up benefiting everyone. This kid can talk all he or she wants about Voltaire or the Ottoman Empire, and other students can nod their heads in agreement, pretending like they've done the reading, too. This situation seems like a win-win, right? Sure, but that kid also always ends up asking questions or droning on about a particular point with one minute left in class. He or she may loose track of time and forget that it's spring in Oxford and the patio at Brick Street Bar is already packed. In his or her eyes, the rest of us should just accept that class would now run five minutes over. What do we expect? He or she just has to know why van Gogh cut off his ear.

Situation Two: "that kid" holds a conversation in the middle of the cubicles at King Library. Most days or nights the cubicles fill up quite quickly, giving the illusion that many students have work and studying that they need to focus on. But not this kid; you can find him or her talking loudly (from up to four cube sections away!) about how he or she wishes he or she was uptown. Note to everyone: this person's conversation is far more important than anything you might be trying to study for. Instead of discussing a test or a project, he or she needs to know right now what happened last night because they were too blacked out. Usually this kid is still walking around with X's inked on his or her hands. In this situation, keep in mind some students treat the cubicles as spaces to speak loudly for 20 minuets about anecdotes from the weekend. It's even more acceptable if they are wearing sorority or fraternity letters.

Situation Three: "that kid" never arrives to class on time. Shouldn't the professor just be grateful this kids shows up? He or she is obviously too important to be bothered with things like an alarm clock or a watch. He or she finds no need to enter quietly or discreetly, and often makes a commotion when he or she steps over bags and people to get to his or her favorite seat, ignoring the one open by the door. The rest of us should show respect to this kid, because remember, it's a gift we get to be in class with him at all.

Situation Four: "that kid" takes up a whole table in the library. King is an aggressive place; people circle the tables and cubicles like vultures for hours waiting for that moment to attack an opening like it's road kill in the desert. But this approach does not faze the kid who uses a table for him or herself. He or she is far too superior to be bothered with finding a cubicle. He or she likes his arm space and the ability to sprawl his or her books out. His or her comfort is priority number one and the rest of us should just understand that. He or she is often the same kid who talks on his or her phone while at the library, too busy to bother taking it outside. Let's all respect this kid because his or her wants are more important than others' needs.

These situations may make you annoyed each time one of these situations arises. However, Miami is full of "that kid" creatures, so the rest of us should learn to be courteous to their actions and tendencies. "That kid" teaches many a valuable lesson in common courtesy, so let's show him or her some appreciation.