Rising sophomore dies over holiday weekend

By Abbey Gingras, News Editor

Miami University student Justin Briggs was found dead on Sunday from an apparent drowning at a lake in Louisa, Virginia.

Briggs, a rising sophomore in the College of Arts and Science, was enjoying the 4th of July weekend with friends when he went missing early Sunday morning. Divers found him later that day in Lake Anna.

Louisa County Sheriff's Maj. Donald Lowe told the Washington Post he believes that Briggs slipped on the dock and hit his head before falling in the water.

"We have no reason to believe [Briggs' death] was anything other than an accident," Lowe said.

Briggs was 19 years old and a resident of Great Falls, VA. According to his social media profiles, he was a brother of Phi Kappa Tau fraternity at Miami. He also enjoyed playing lacrosse.

Director of University News and Communications Claire Wagner said the university will post his funeral information on the My Miami page as soon as it is made available to them.

"It's a tragic accident," Wagner said. "Our hearts go out to his friends and family."

Two visitations will be held, one from 2 to 4 p.m. and another from 6 to 8 p.m. Friday at Fairfax Memorial Funeral Home in Fairfax, Va. The funeral service is at 1 p.m. Saturday.

In lieu of flowers, Briggs' family asked contributions be made to the Justin Briggs Memorial Scholarship Fund through Honduras Hope.

Miami University has counseling services available to students. More information to come.