Senior and Miami University men’s basketball guard, Darrian Ringo’s initial plea/trial setting hearing, to plead guilty or not guilty on domestic violence charges, was postponed until 8 a.m. on Thursday, June 6 in the Oxford Courthouse.

Judge Robert Lyons agreed during Butler County Area 1 court last Thursday, April 11 to push back Ringo’s case to allow his attorney, Neal Schuett, more time to prepare for the hearing in June.

Ringo is on track to graduate from Miami in May, and there is no known investigation being pursued by the Office of Community Standards (OCS).

OCS cannot pursue cases of domestic violence or sexual assault without a complainant, and at this time no complainant has directly reported these allegations to Miami.

“We are unable to investigate if there is no complainant,” University News and Communications Director Claire Wagner wrote in an email to The Student.

However, Miami reserves the right to retroactively review degrees if a student who graduates is found guilty of a 12-19 offense — an offense on a list of violent crimes, including domestic violence, within the Ohio Revised Code — Schuett said.

Normally, if any Ohio public university student is found guilty of a 12-19 offense, the university is required by state law to suspend the student.

The decision to potentially revoke Ringo’s degree, if he is found guilty, would be under the discretion of Miami general counsel, Robin Parker, Schuett said.

Miami Athletic Director David Sayler declined to comment until the criminal proceedings have finished.

This article was updated to clarify that there is currently “no known investigation” being conducted through Miami’s OCS with respect to the domestic violence allegations.

doyleca3@miamioh.edu

@cadoyle_18

simansec@miamioh.edu

@emilysimanskis

Comments