Replacing record breakers for Miami women's basketball

Justin Maskulinski, Columnist

3,477 points. 1,579 rebounds. 746 assists. 413 steals. 205 blocks.

Those statistics were compiled by two people over the last four years; former Miami women's basketball players Kirsten Olowinski and Courtney Osborn, who graduated last spring.

This year, the RedHawks face the challenge of making up for those numbers.

Osborn, a guard who started all 123 games she played for the RedHawks, is the record holder for points (2,166), three-pointers made (299), field goals attempted (1,814), three-pointers attempted (871), free throws made (513) and free throws attempted (641).

Osborn also holds the Miami and Mid-American Conference (MAC) record for points in a single game, as she put up 48 points against the University of Akron on Jan. 4, 2012.

Osborn was the first player in Miami history to join the 1,000-point club as a sophomore.

Not a bad career for a four-year starter, four-time letter winner and three-time captain.

Olowinski, a forward, is the record holder for career rebounds (1,154), as she was the first RedHawk to surpass the 1,000 mark for rebounds. Olowinski is also the career leader in blocks (177), and double-doubles (41). She ranks sixth all-time at Miami in shooting percentage (.502) as well.

Olowinski nearly averaged a double-double in her time at Miami, as she put up 10.7 points and 9.4 rebounds per game during her four years. Olowinski also served as a Miami captain for two years and started every game she played in from her sophomore to senior year.

The question for this year's RedHawk team is simple: How do you replace, or try to replace, two record holders like Osborn and Olowinski?

The answer is not simple, and there may not even be a correct answer.

The fact that head coach Cleve Wright is in first year could be a benefit to this situation. Having never coached Osborn or Olowinski, Wright won't have to worry about replacing them, instead he will simply "play with the cards he is dealt." It's not a bad hand by any means, either.

The RedHawks return 10 players from last year's squad and three of the four new players led the team in scoring in last Saturday's 71-54 exhibition win.

Senior guard Hannah Robertson led the Red and White in steals last season with 57 and her twin sister Haley was second only to Osborn in three pointers attempted (91) and made (28). Senior forward Erica Almady and senior center Kelsey Simon were first and second in field goal percentage, respectively. Almady made 55 percent of her shots, while Simon made 51 percent.

Both Robertsons averaged over 30 minutes per game last season, but Wright has said he plans to play up to 10 players per game, so lack of game experience should not hurt the RedHawks in the long run.

The numbers that Olowinski and Osborn put up during their time are not likely to be surpassed any time soon, and the new look RedHawks likely are not worried about putting up those numbers.

The only number that matters, no matter the team or players, is the number in the 'W' column.