Rehabilitation doctor to speak on addiction

Dr. Drew Pinsky of VH1's Celebritry Rehab visits Miami

By Rasika Rane, For The Miami Student

Celebrity Rehab's Dr. Drew Pinsky will speak on "Addictions Can Happen To You" as part of the Miami University Lecture Series at 7 p.m. Monday, Feb. 16 in Hall Auditorium.

Lecture Series Committee member Lana Kay Rosenberg said the university invited Pinsky to speak on addiction because his specialty is a topic of interest among students, who fund the lectures with their tuition.

"There is smoking, drinking, drugs, sex and just lots of stuff, and certainly not all the students, but so many students, either are going through something themselves or know someone," Rosenberg said. "We thought it would be a good thing for our campus to bring someone experienced in this area."

Dr. Drew Pinsky is a practicing physician, Board Certified in Internal and Addiction Medicine.

In 2008, Pinsky starred in "Celebrity Rehab" with Dr. Drew on VH1. In December 2010 he joined HLN as the host of his own nightly show Dr. Drew On Call where he explores what makes people do what they do.

For over 25 years he has been taking calls about love, sex and relationships on the nationally syndicated radio show "Loveline." He is also the author of the New York Times's bestsellers "The Mirror Effect: How Celebrity Narcissism is Seducing America" and "Cracked: Putting Broken Lives Together Again."

"People from 18 to 22 years old are experimenting in their lives and many different fronts. Much of the things they do is experimenting with drug use and alcohol use," Newberry said. "It's a slippery slope that you're experimenting and that becomes repeated behavior … it can become a habit and habit then can become an addiction."

According to Newberry, as a part of the event, Pinsky will talk with students individually and privately on a volunteer basis about what students experience on campus in regards to drug and alcohol abuse.

Pinsky would like to get an authentic, anonymous conversation with the students for his own purposes.

Additionally, the university is going to have its own addiction specialist and drug counselors available as resources for the students.

Tickets are available to Miami University students, faculty and staff at the Shriver Box Office with a limit of two tickets maximum per Miami ID or at Hall Auditorium on the evening of the event.

Newberry said the event will be popular and if the box office runs out, there will be tickets available in the lobby of Hall Auditorium.

She advised any students interested in attending to arrive to the event a half hour early.