RedHawks suit up for Kent State

Redshirt freshman Justin Semmes scores on a pass from quarterback Zac Dysert at the RedHawks’ game against Colorado State Sept. 18.

JM Rieger, Staff Writer

Redshirt freshman Justin Semmes scores on a pass from quarterback Zac Dysert at the RedHawks’ game against Colorado State Sept. 18. (MICHAEL GRIGGS | The Miami Student)

Coming off a 51-13 defeat at University of Missouri where the RedHawks turned the ball over three times, the Miami University football team is looking to bounce back against a Kent State University team that has beaten the RedHawks each of the past two seasons.

The Golden Flashes enter this week's game with a 1-2 record, having lost two straight games at Boston College and Penn State, while the Red and White are 2-2 on the season.

Miami is trying to refocus its attention on the Mid-American Conference (MAC) and on approaching each game the same way. The RedHawks only have one non-conference game remaining on the schedule, and currently six of the remaining eight teams on the schedule have losing records.

"We have to come out (this week) and erase that game (against Missouri) from our memory," senior wide receiver Armand Robinson said. "We have everything in front of us. Our goal is to win the MAC title, and that game had no impact on that. Our goals are still in front of us."

The Red and White will be without senior safety and two-year captain Jordan Gafford, who suffered the third concussion of his career last week and is expected to miss two weeks. In addition, redshirt junior linebacker Ryan Kennedy suffered a grade three MCL injury against Missouri and is also expected to miss two weeks.

Redshirt sophomore linebacker Luke Kelly returns to the lineup this week for Miami and his presence will be a major factor for the RedHawks. In addition, redshirt junior linebacker Jerrell Wedge, who led the team in tackles last season and is currently tied for the team lead in tackles with 27 this year, must have another good game this week.

"We need leadership from the defense as a whole," Wedge said. "We need to bond together. We are putting in a new game plan (this week), and we are staying physical and emotional on defense."

Miami's defense, which enters the game ranked 23 in rushing defense and 43 in total defense, will face a Kent State team that has relied heavily on the passing game this year. Sophomore quarterback Spencer Keith is No. 17 in the nation in passing yards, but redshirt senior running back Eugene Jarvis, who went out with an injury during Kent State's week one victory against Murray State, may see playing time this week. Currently, the Golden Flashes are ranked 117 in rushing offense and Jarvis could add the balance Kent State has been lacking.

"(Jarvis) does a nice job of cutting back against the grain," Head Coach Michael Haywood said. "We match up pretty well against these guys up front. We are only given 12 opportunities (each season), and Kent State is who stands in our way in week five."

The Golden Flashes enter the game with the top rushing defense in the country, while the RedHawks are 110 in rushing offense. Therefore, expect Miami to use its passing attack to open up the running game. Redshirt sophomore quarterback Zac Dysert has completed over 78 percent of his passes over the last nine quarters and one of his favorite targets has been Robinson. Robinson is seventh in the nation in receptions per game and 17 in yards per game, and he could have another big game this week against a Kent State team that is ranked No. 78 in passing defense.

"Coach puts me in good position (to make plays)," Robinson said. "Dysert has done a good job of finding me and guys have done a good job of running their routes allowing me to get open."

Ultimately, though, Haywood continues to emphasize taking one game at a time and getting better every week.

"We are a brand new team (this year)," Haywood said. "We talk about getting better each and every week and we need to do a good job this week."

Kickoff is set for 1 p.m. Oct. 2 at Yager Stadium. Fans can listen to the game on Miami's ISP Sports Network or on WMSR at redhawkradio.com.