RedHawks show season best in Hawkeye Invitational

Hannah R. Miller, Staff Writer

The Miami University men's golf team teed off at the Hawkeye Invitational this weekend, finishing in a season best second place out of 10 teams.

Led by junior golfers Michael Drobnick and Nathan Sutherland, the RedHawk golf team finished the weekend at 11 over par as a team, shooting an 875 for the team total.

Miami had five golfers competing in the team competition, and one golfer, Charlie Hendrickson, competing individually. In a field of 60 golfers, Miami had five of their six teammates finishing in the top 25. Sutherland and Drobnick tied for seventh, Craig Voorhees finished tied for 16th, Brett Tomfohrde finished tied for 19th place and Hendrickson finished in 23rd place. Matt Stasiak finished tied for 41st overall.

Head Coach Casey Lubahn was glad to see the team working together.

"A highlight yesterday was that we had 10 scores that were right in there," Lubahn said. "All five guys were contributing; even six with our individual (golfer). All of our guys were contributing and playing good golf. It speaks volumes about the type of team we're building. They can all come out and play well."

The only team finishing above the RedHawks was the hosting Iowa Hawkeyes team. They finished one under par, 12 shots ahead of Miami.

"Iowa is a very good team," Sutherland said. "We're trying to figure out how to make up those 12 shots so we can beat a good team like that and be recognized as being as good as a team like Iowa."

The RedHawks seem to be on the verge of this recognition, improving with each tournament.

"Step by step, tournament by tournament, we just have to keep getting better and I think we're all excited because we're starting to see that progress," Lubahn said.

In preparation for next weekend's tournament at Purdue University, the 'Hawks are focusing on their iron play and working to finalize the roster.

Lubahn is looking to figure out which players are ready for not only next weekend, but also for the Mid-American Conference (MAC) Championships right around the corner.

"Next week we expect a pretty good field, so if we can compete at the Boilermaker (Invitational), it should give us confidence leading into the MAC," Sutherland said.

The RedHawks are back on the links next weekend at Purdue's Boilermaker Invitational, April 24 and 25, in their final tune up before the MAC Championships.