RedHawk season ends in Toledo

By Daniel Taylor, The Miami Student

The Miami University women's basketball season ended after a 62-47 defeat to University of Toledo in the first round of the Mid-American Conference tournament Monday night.

Toledo (18-12, 10-8 MAC) struggled with shooting in the first half with a success rate of 34 percent, but they carried a 30-20 lead into the locker room. The Rockets' shooting percentage improved to 43 percent in the second half and allowed them to put the RedHawks' season on ice.

The Red and White (7-23, 4-14 MAC) could not get many shots to fall, shooting 32 percent from the field and hitting 1 of 14 from behind the arc. The team also struggled on the boards. Toledo out-rebounded Miami 50-32 and grabbed 16 offensive rebounds.

Freshman guard Kayla Brown led the 'Hawks with 15 points and was the only RedHawk who reached double figures. Junior forward Hannah McCue produced the second most scoring for the team with nine points.

Two Rockets scored in the double digits. Guard Jay-Ann Bravo-Harriott, MAC freshman of the year, led Toledo with a game-high 17 points. Bravo-Harriott was 3-7 in three-point shooting. Sophomore center Sophie Reecher achieved a double-double with 12 points and 13 boards.

Head coach Cleve Wright said the loss hurts, but losing the seniors is always the toughest part when a season concludes.

"We go to the locker room we don't talk about the game, we talk about our seniors," Wright said. "[Seniors] Courtney [Larson] and Katy [Dolesh] have been very strong leaders."

Wright said the veterans helped in building a culture of hard work and commitment.

Looking forward, Wright said the team needs to improve in many areas, including ball handling and post pay, in order to reach his ultimate goal. He also said that the freshman playing so many minutes this season will help in the long run.

"They all got experience, and that will pay off in the end," Wright said. "We're going to keep building our culture."

The future may be bright for the RedHawks. Freshman guard Baleigh Reid developed into a solid guard and was selected to the MAC All-Freshman team. Reid is the 12th RedHawk to receive those honors.

"I do set high expectations for myself," Reid said. "That was on the list."

Reid is excited to get the offseason started and improve her game, specifically shooting skills.

"My three-point shot off the dribble," Reid said. "Having people respect my shot is one of my biggest goals."

The RedHawks return all but one starter next season, as Courtney Larson collegiate career ended after Monday's loss. Larson finished with 396 points, 185 assists, and 238 rebounds in 102 games. She also started in 63 games for the 'Hawks.