RedHawks look to build off performance in Georgia

Drew McDonnell, Staff Writer

The Miami University softball team spent their spring break in Woodstock, Ga. as they competed in the Buzz Classic.

Over the course of the weekend, the team faced several losses, which the team feels they can build from.

"We need to work on fine tuning everything," junior pitcher Jessica Simpson said. "We had a few plays that could have been executed better and would've made a difference in the games. I think we need to focus on stringing hits together so we can score more runs."

In their first game, the RedHawks fell to Penn State University by a score of 1-0. Simpson matched the Nittany Lion pitcher by putting zeros up through the first five innings. At the top of the sixth inning, Penn State hit a solo home run for what would be the only score of the day. Simpson ended up with the tough-luck loss, giving up one run on nine hits, while striking out seven.

Miami then was defeated by Georgia State University, 4-2, in the nightcap. Miami put points on the board in the fifth inning. Senior Jenna McGivney hit her first home run of the season over the center-field wall. In the top of the seventh, McGivney led off with a single through the left side and was replaced by freshman pinch runner Brandi Hernandez. Freshman Kristy Arbour singled through right side to bring Hernandez home. After an out, senior Meghan Mawn walked to load the bases. Freshman Kayla Ledbetter followed with a line shot that was caught by the second baseman. Georgia State was able to double Mawn off first base on the play to end the game.

Due to rain, the second day of the tournament was cancelled and the 'Hawks finished out the third day of the tournament against Georgia State and the University of Connecticut.

Georgia State was able to get five runs in the first two innings off junior starter Katie Osburn. Simpson came in relief, but the Panthers were able to score two more in the top of the fourth. Miami scored two of its runs in the bottom of the second. With Arbour on first base and one out, back-to-back singles loaded the bases. Mawn brought the first run home with a single.

Falling behind 7-2, the RedHawks brought home their final run in the bottom of the fourth. With the bases loaded, freshman Kirstie Fehrenbach scored another run for the RedHawks. Miami managed 10 hits against Georgia State, but stranded nine base runners.

In the second game against the University of Connecticut Huskies, Miami gave up a run in the bottom of the first inning before evening the score in the top of the fourth. Ledbetter sent the ball up the middle. Sophomore Taylor Rice followed with a single of her own to move Ledbetter to second. An Allie Larabee walk moved her to third, and when a pitch hit Arbour, Ledbetter scored.

The Red and White took the lead with two runs in the top of the fifth. Junior pinch runner Daniela Torres and Fehrenbach were able to run the bases and gain two more points for Miami.

Simpson would allow the Huskies another run in the bottom of the sixth to make it 3-2, but she got two strikeouts and a groundout in the bottom of the seventh to secure the win.

Head coach Kelly Kovach Schoenly, looks upon new members of the team to step up their game in the upcoming weeks.

"We have some veterans that lead this group but we need some freshman to step up and add significantly to the squad," Schoenly said.