RedHawks host FGCU, travel to Wright State

By Harrison Schwarz, staff writer

After a stunning win over Rice University last Sunday, the Miami University women's soccer team (3-3) looks to replicate their success this weekend against Florida Gulf Coast University (4-3-1) on Friday and Wright State University (3-4) on Sunday. These games mark the end of MU's non-conference schedule.

Head coach Bobby Kramig said he expects FGCU and WSU to be stiff competition.

"We've got two very difficult games this weekend," Kramig said. "Florida Gulf Coast may be the best team that has come to Oxford in quite some time. And then we have to go and play Wright State on the road. Playing up there is tough. It's field turf. It's not our environment. But we have conference teams that play on field turf too and we're going to have to deal with it."

Sophomore forward Kat Zalar, who scored two goals against Rice last week, anticipates a tough weekend with two games on the schedule.

"We've had a great week of practice," Zalar said. "We're hoping to get two wins. It's going to be hard this weekend definitely, but it's always hard having a Friday game and a Sunday game. But hopefully we can pull through."

Florida Gulf Coast is coming off a 2-0 victory over Florida International University and a 1-0 loss to the University of Miami. FGCU is 0-2 on the road this season.

Wright State has hit a tough spell after losing 1-0 to the University of Toledo and Butler University last week. The Raiders travel to Valparaiso University on Friday before MU comes into town on Sunday. Wright State is 1-0 at home this season.

Friday's game begins at 4 p.m. in Oxford, Ohio, while Sunday's game against Wright State starts at 7 p.m. on Sunday in Dayton, Ohio.