RedHawks host Bulls

By Ben Vandertill, For The Miami Student

The Miami University men's and women's swimming and diving teams are back in the pool when they host Mid-American Conference rival the University at Buffalo Friday in the Nixon Aquatic Center. Men's head coach Pete Lindsay looks forward to the RedHawk competition coming to Oxford. "Coming off a great training trip in Plantation Florida," Lindsay said. "This meet brings a strong and balanced Buffalo team to Oxford. It will be a good meet to test our racing tactics and season our rookies and sophomores." Last season at the University at Buffalo's Alumni Arena, the men's team fell to the Bulls 166-134 and the women's team came out on top, winning 168-132. Both Buffalo teams are coming off a victory, as they handled Niagara University Jan. 10. It is both squads' second meet of the New Year, coming off a duel meet against University of Cincinnati Jan. 10. The women's team came away victorious over the Bearcats, 188-111. They started the meet strong coming away with first and second place finishes in the 200 Medley Relay. Swimming the breaststroke leg of the medley was sophomore standout Stephanie LeMire. The medley was one of three first place finishes in the meet for LeMire. She clocked winning times in the 100 breaststroke and the 200 breaststroke as well, earning her a second MAC Women's Swimmer of the Week award. The RedHawk 400-yard freestyle relay also posted a first place finish. The men's team fell short to Cincinnati, 182-118. The 'Hawks did have some top performances, which they hope to build on. Miami's 200 medley relay team posted a winning time of 1:34.35. Other first place finishes included junior Sean Neri in the 100-yard backstroke (51.93) and senior Joe Baumgartner in the 50-yard freestyle (20.73). Both the men and women have strong teams coming out of Buffalo. The RedHawks will be put to the test against a respectable conference rival. "Last year we had a very competitive meet at UB and we expect the same this Friday," Lindsay. "Coach Bashor has built the Buffalo team into a strong conference contender in his tenure and they enjoy our competitions."