RedHawks' defeat of Bulls ends 3-game slide

Amanda Jackson drives the lane during Miami's 71-68 victory over Buffalo.

Trish Engelman

Amanda Jackson drives the lane during Miami's 71-68 victory over Buffalo. (David Frish)

Cupid was on Miami University's side Wednesday night, as the RedHawks defeated the University at Buffalo Bulls 71-68 at Millett Hall. The Valentine's Day victory saw the women's basketball team's record increase to 12-13 overall and 6-6 in MAC play.

"There was no hesitation," said guard Amanda Jackson who racked up a game-high 26 points. "We were playing to win and we found the confidence in each other."

The RedHawks' confidence and 89 percent free-throw shooting helped propel the 'Hawks to a regular-season sweep of Buffalo.

The first half saw sluggish play on both ends as Miami was able to open up a slim lead early in the game. Timely shooting by guards Jaclyn Leininger and Ashley Hawkins forced the Bulls to play catch-up early on.

Buffalo finally started finding the hoop and went on an 8-0 run of its own to take the lead, 17-9, midway through the first.

However, Miami answered back with a pair of 3-pointers by Sara Hull and Jackson, bringing the 'Hawks to within just four points with 6:12 left in the first half. Recognizing the threat, the Bulls caught fire and sent the Red and White into the locker room trailing 37-29.

"We need to focus more on fundamentals," said Miami Head Coach Maria Fantanarosa. "We can't give teams easy opportunities like we did this half. We are a much better team than that."

The 'Hawks struggled from the field, sinking only 28 percent of their shots in the first half. The Bulls, however, found the baskets at Millett very friendly, connecting on four of their six 3-point shots, boosting their field-goal percentage to 48.

"Coming off a couple losses is motivation to go out there and work even harder," Jackson said. "Especially in the second half."

The second half featured a new RedHawk team, as the 'Hawks came out aggressive and determined to correct their first-half blunders.

The first four points came from Hawkins and Jackson as each connected on a pair of free throws in the first minute of the half. Capitalizing on a three-point play, guard Jenna Schone helped bring the Redhawks to their first lead, 38-37, since the 13:09 mark in the first half.

Causing turnovers from the grip of the Bulls' offense, Miami continued its streak, taking off on a seven-point run as Hawkins notched four points and Schone added three of her own.

Buffalo began to find the momentum it left in the locker room during the half as they quickly took back a two-point lead. Buffalo's Kourtney Brown increased the Bulls' lead to 60-56 with a layup with just 6:13 remaining.

The battle continued as the lead volleyed between both teams. However, a jump shot and layup by Jackson initiated Miami's nine-point turn around putting them back ahead, 69-65.

Buffalo's Brown rifled back with a shot beyond the arc putting the Bulls down just one with one minute left.

Fouled in the last 19 seconds, a confident Schone solidified Miami's victory by sinking both free throws to end the game.

"It needs to be just like a natural free throw, you can't think about it," Schone said. "No negative thoughts going through my mind."

Leininger, Jackson, Schone and Hawkins all finished the game with double-digit points as Leininger posted her third double-double in the past four games with 11 points and 13 rebounds.

"We are a young team and we still have room to grow," Fantanarosa said. "I see improvement everyday, which makes us all optimistic."

In search of another season sweep, the 'Hawks return to action Sunday as they face the Ohio Bobcats in Athens, Ohio.