Red and White picks up three wins

By Jordan Rinard, Senior Staff Writer

After a humbling 10-0 loss to Eastern Kentucky University Tuesday, the Miami University softball team righted the ship this weekend after a sweep over University of Buffalo and a split against Kent State University.

MU swept Buffalo 6-0 and 9-8 Friday. A 9-1 loss to Kent State Saturday followed, but the 'Hawks bounced back with a 4-3 win Sunday.

The RedHawks (21-13, 5-1 MAC) are first place in the MAC East, while the Flashes (23-7, 4-1 MAC) rank third. The Bulls (7-24, 0-4 MAC) place last in the division.

"We were just playing our game," senior outfielder Tiyona Marshall said of the victory over KSU. "We had to make an adjustment when that pitcher came in. We're looking forward to seeing her again. We'll have to keep making adjustments and keeping our mistakes to a minimum. [Offensively], we've been working on all the pitches that we expect to see, and that's really helped us."

In the first Buffalo matchup, Miami took control of the game with a five-run first inning. Junior outfielder Taylor Shuey put down a single to score two runners, and freshman third baseman Kat Lee picked up a two-RBI single of her own. Senior shortstop Kylie McChesney singled in a runner off of the Bulls' second pitcher of the inning.

Junior pitcher Amber Logemann seemed to control the UB offense throughout the game, allowing three hits and stranding nine runners in a complete game shutout to pick up her 15th win of the season.

In the second game, Buffalo scored with a three-run home run in the first before the 'Hawks scored five in the bottom of the inning. After an RBI single from sophomore second baseman Eryn McCarver, freshman catcher Rylee Whispel was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded. Immediately after, Lee drew a walk, and Whispel and Shuey both scored on a Bulls' throwing error.

After picking up four runs in the fourth, fifth, and six, junior reliever Megan Mattera struggled to close out the seventh. Mattera allowed four runs with two outs in the inning, keeping the Bulls within one run of the lead. Logemann reentered the game and closed the game with a groundout.

McCarver and Marshall each went 3-4 with a RBI in the game, while Shuey went 2-3 with two RBIs and a walk. The offense had additional opportunities to score as it stranded eight runners, six of which were in scoring position.

In the first Kent State matchup, the Flashes had the bats swinging early, as they took a 5-0 lead after a three-run home run in the third inning. Despite a RBI in the fifth from McCarver, Miami could not keep up offensively.

Mattera and sophomore pitcher Kelsey Fredericks split the load on the mound and collectively totaled two strikeouts, while allowing nine earned runs on 13 hits.

Kent State scored first in the third inning of the second game with a run off of a fielding error by Miami's first baseman, but the 'Hawks retaliated with four runs in the bottom of the inning. Shuey, Lipscomb and Lee each brought in a runner before Shuey scored on a fielding error.

Two hit-by-pitch RBIs in the top of the fourth made the score 4-3, but neither side scored again after Logemann and KSU senior righty Emma Johnson made the game a pitching duel. Logemann came out on top with a complete game win, throwing 76 strikes on 117 pitches.

Marshall went 3-4 with a run scored on the afternoon, while Shuey went 2-3 with a RBI and a run scored.

"It's a great weekend for us. Going 3-1 is a great weekend," head coach Clarisa Crowell said. "We competed and had great energy all weekend. Kent State is a great team with great pitching. Splitting against them is huge; Amber shut them down, our defense played great and we found ways to score. Tiyona had a great weekend hitting and Shuey got some big RBIs. We didn't have Remy Edwards, but Kat Lee did a great job of filling in at third base. Now, we have to get back to work and get ready for Wright State."

The RedHawks head to Dayton Tuesday for a doubleheader with Wright State University. First pitch is 4 p.m. The Raiders (10-24, 6-2 Horizon) are on a three-game winning streak. The team boasts a pair of .330-plus

came out on top with a complete game win, throwing 76 strikes on 117 pitches.

The RedHawks head to Dayton Tuesday for a doubleheader with Wright State University. First pitch is 4 p.m. The Raiders (10-24, 6-2 Horizon) are on a three-game winning streak. The team boasts a pair of .330-plus hitters and a pitching staff with a 5.48 ERA.