Red and White fall to Dukes

Sophomore guard Hannah Robertson has been a spark for Miami this season, averaging 10.4 points per game. The ’Hawks will look to notch their fifth win of the season Saturday.

Brian Gallagher, For The Miami Student

Sophomore guard Hannah Robertson has been a spark for Miami this season, averaging 10.4 points per game. The ’Hawks will look to notch their fifth win of the season Saturday. (SCOTT ALLISON | The Miami Student)

LL Cool J once famously said, "Don't call it a comeback," and unfortunately for the Miami University women's basketball team in their game against the Duquesne University Dukes (6-1), he was correct. The RedHawks took their show on the road to the Steel City and despite playing good defense and dominating the glass, they came up just short, losing 64-63, dropping their record to 4-3.

"Duquesne is one of the better if not the best team we've played this year," Head Coach Maria Fantanarosa said. "We don't want to put too much emphasis on the loss, especially given the progress we showed against a very good team."

Miami was able to take an early lead on the heels of a defense that held the Dukes to just 1-11 shooting in the first eight minutes. A stagnant offense was unable to capitalize on this though, as the 'Hawks held only 10-8 with 10:51 remaining in the first half.

A 7-0 RedHawk run followed as Miami took its biggest lead of the game with just over eight minutes to play with a layup from sophomore center Kelsey Simon. The Dukes would not roll over and came right back, ending the half with a 29-26 advantage.

Duquesne pounced early in the second half and quickly built a 10-point advantage just two minutes in, extending their lead to 37-27. Miami bent but would not break, slowly chipping away at the Duquesne lead until they found themselves down only by five after a jumper by senior forward Rachael Hencke made it 62-57 with 3:39 to play. The Dukes would get only two more points in the game as the 'Hawks defense clamped down and did not allow them to score again.

The rally was on when senior guard Maggie Boyer came up big with a jumper and junior forward Kirsten Olowinski followed with two of her 18 points to make it a one-point game with only 1:19 remaining.

A steal by junior guard Courtney Osborn with 34 seconds remaining seemed to have the RedHawks poised to finish off this Cinderella-Story comeback and head back home with a big win. But the basketball gods were not smiling on Miami as three missed shots in the final 30 seconds denied the Red and White a victory.

In addition to her 18 points, Olowinski grabbed 11 rebounds for her second straight double-double. Osborn added 18 points of her own and sophomore guard Hannah Robertson stuffed the stat sheet with seven points, nine rebounds and five assists.

"Our next step to focus on is where to find one more point or one more shot to win games like that," Fantanarosa said. "[The team] did everything to give themselves an opportunity to win, so it's definitely a step forward, confidence-wise."

There is no rest for the weary as Miami must now refocus as they prepare for their next game at home against the Bruins of Eastern Kentucky University Saturday.

Tip-off is set for 1 p.m., so any student in need of a study break should head to Millett Hall to watch the RedHawks, as they look to continue their perfect home record.