Red and White dominate field at Miami Open

Josh North, For The Miami Student

In their first and only home meet of the season, the Miami University men's and women's cross country teams won handily, with winning margins of 25 and 30 points, respectively.

The women were particularly impressive by taking four of the first five finishers in the 5k race. Seniors Kelley Miller and Maggie Bingham led the way by running times of 18:11 and 18:20. Sophomore Kate Carter placed third with a time of 18:48.

"The team ran and raced very well," Head Coach Kelly Phillips said. "Overall, times were significantly faster than times that were run on our course last weekend."

Redshirt junior Jillian Dickman placed fifth with a time of 19:02 and redshirt sophomore Monica Fischer rounded out the scoring for the Red and White by finishing eighth with a time of 19:14.

For the second consecutive week, the 'Hawks didn't run their entire squad. Most of the freshmen were held out of the race after running last week. The freshmen ran by themselves at the Dayton 5k Challenge.

"Our young runners are doing great, they're the most focused freshman class that I have ever had," Phillips said. "Right now, our team chemistry is fantastic so I am really looking forward to seeing how that translates into our racing."

The RedHawks will be heading to Michigan State University next week for the Spartan invitational on Friday.

The men's team was equally impressive, with junior Jared Eick winning for the second consecutive week. Eick and his teammates took the first three places. Eick was clear ahead of the competition with a time of 25:39 and also ran negative splits for the last two miles.

"Jared looked really strong and really comfortable all the way into the finish line," Head Coach Warren Mandrell said. "His last two miles were his fastest, which was kind of what he was aiming for since he wanted to keep the team together."

Sophomore David Wing and redshirt freshman Daniel Garlab finished second and third, respectively. Each were timed at 25:54, with Wing finishing just a step ahead of Garleb. Junior David Eichenberger finished eighth in 26:10 and freshman Ryan Moncrieff ran the 8k in 26:24 to place 12th.

Up until last weekend, Garleb and Moncrieff hadn't run a collegiate 8k race. The RedHawks won the meet for the fourth consecutive season.

The men's team is off next weekend, but their next race is at Louisiana State University on Sept. 24.