Rash of library burglaries sparks increased security

Sanam Sahni, For The Miami Student

The board of directors at the Hamilton Lane Library has approved the installation of six security cameras in response to a recent series of thefts.

According to the Hamilton City police department, there have been three thefts at the library over an eight day period. Stolen items include two purses containing driver's licenses, credit cards, cash, a cell phone and a Dell laptop.

Carrie Mancuso, the public relations manager at Lane Libraries, said two library-issued laptops have also been stolen.

Since the thefts occured around the same time, the library took the initiative to install new cameras, according to Mancuso, but they do not have any ongoing issues with safety.

"[Lane Libraries] is focusing on areas where we have issues," Mancuso said. "We got some securities in place and we're working with the police."

Miami University junior, Emily Grimes, said she never thought theft was an issue in libraries. Even though she never leaves her things unattended, she said she agrees that security cameras are a good idea.

"Cameras would be the best next step for them if they can't do anything else," Grimes said.

Mancuso also encouraged people not to leave their things unattended, especially in public places.

"You can't trust strangers," Mancuso said.

Library staff members watch over unattended items when people leave them, but this only helps to a certain extent.

"There's only so much we can do," said Mancuso.

Sophomore Colleen Maddensaid she believes it is not the library's job to take care of people's belongings.

"If you leave your stuff unattended, then there are definitely people who would steal it," Madden said.