Proposal may change regional campuses' identity

Miami University has proposed to cut the regional campus dean positions at Hamilton and Middletown and name a position for a single administrator who would oversee the regional campuses and Voice of America Learning Center. The proposal will be presented to the board of trustees Sept. 18. The editorial board of The Miami Student feels the move is unnecessary and could prove inconsistent with the first of Miami University's Five Year Strategic Goals - making the undergraduate experience among the best in the nation.

The report of the Regional Campus Committee, which issued the recommendation, articulated a vision of the regional campus as more than satellites orbiting Oxford. However, as expressed by a group organized to protect the independence of the Hamilton campus, it seems as though the elimination of the regional deans may water down the distinctiveness of the regional campuses. The regional deans likely have a better understanding of their campuses than one dean for all regional campuses could. Additionally, a single administrator will have trouble

accomplishing what two did before. Just in physical geography, the Hamilton and Middletown campuses are half an hour away from each other. Furthermore, enrollment is up ("Economy sends record number of students to regional campuses," Sept. 4). It seems like there will be less support for more people.

It also appears that some things will be dropped by necessity. If unity is what the university is after, perhaps it should focus on improving communication between existing deans. Eliminating the positions of the two deans feels like a comment on their performances. If something is wrong with the current management, it should be clearly expressed.

While the report comments that open forums resulted in general agreement overall, it identifies that there were differences of opinion, particularly in regard to titles and responsibilities. Indeed, they suggested elevating a regional administrator to a higher position. In its report, the committee also acknowledged the importance of "campus-specific day-to-day administrative leadership." It is this campus-specific quality that compels this board to oppose the proposal.