Project Civility for change

By Rebecca Huff, Senior Staff Writer

With the vandalism that took place in Wells Hall on March 4, Project Civility, a subcommittee under the Student Government Association (SGA) of the regional campuses, is working to promote courtesy and respect within the Miami community.

Project Civility was founded by Kofi Ansah and Shan Qureshi in 2012 "in response to rude, disrespectful and hurtful comments and behaviors demonstrated by students at the beginning of the 2011-12 academic year," according to its profile on The Hub.

Whenever someone is committing an act of civility, no matter where it is or what it is, that person is presented with a wooden civility nickel. The nickel giver and the person doing the act of kindness take a picture together and it goes on Project Civility's Facebook page.

"[Project Civility] ties in beautifully with the 'I am Miami' campaign because it's saying you're a part of our family, you matter," said SGA Advisor and Regional Senior Associate Dean of Students, Robert H. Rusbosin.

Project Civility started on the Hamilton campus then spread to the Middletown and Oxford campuses, but it didn't stop there. The movement continued to grow, grabbing the attention of Kim and Bonnie Nuxhall, teachers in the Cincinnati area. They donated the latest version of the civility nickel.

"The ultimate goal of Project Civility is to spread the movement worldwide so that our world can become a place where we can all work and play together in a much more collaborating and civil way than it is today," said Project Civility Co-Founder, Kofi Ansah.

Hundreds of people have been accredited for acts of civility on Project Civility's Facebook page. They have over 700 people following their page. The committee is even gaining recognition overseas.

"Our past co-director, Shan Qureshi, gave a civility nickel out in London when he traveled there," Ansah said.

Project Civility will be creating a commercial on April 24 and May 1, which will serve as a public service announcement promoting the organization. The commercial will be aired on the campus TVs and shown during SOAR Orientations.

With Project Civility Co-Directors Shar Qureshi and Nicole Reckner graduating, some worry the continuance of Project Civility may be in danger.

"I believe that we have enough people to sustain it. As far as leadership is concerned, I'm concerned for Project Civility. We have a lot of people doing really awesome and great things but I don't see necessarily leadership qualities," said member Adam Reith.

Mitch Griffin, a member of Project Civility, is being considered for one of the co-director positions.

"Theo Ottesen would be a very good candidate for the position," said Segi Adeseha, secretary for Project Civility. "He is very active in Project Civility in Middletown as well as Hamilton's."