Police beat

Underage males try to purchase alcohol

At 3:30 p.m. Friday, an undercover liquor enforcement officer observed four college-aged males and an employee loading cases of alcohol in a car in the parking lot at Oxford Spirits.

The group reportedly made several trips back and forth before pulling out.

The police officer ran the license plates on the car and found the tags were expired in June 2009.

When the officer stopped the vehicle, he reportedly found Miami University first-years Charles Mlakar and Mark Holtkamp each holding a case of beer and a case of vodka in the back seat of their car.

Miami sophomore Daniel Miller, 19, was also in the vehicle driven by junior Patrick Mannion, 21.

Mannion reportedly told police the car belonged to a friend and was told to drive it to the OPD impound lot while the owner, Miami junior Josh Balicki, was contacted.

Balicki received a traffic citation for expired registration.

Mannion was charged with furnishing alcohol to minors.

Mlakar, Holtkamp and Miller were each charged with underage possession of alcohol.

Student reports assault due to sports argument

At 5:30 a.m. Sunday, police officers met with a Miami University junior in the OPD lobby regarding an assault earlier in the evening.

The student told police he attended a gathering at 310 N. Beech St. where four of his friends live. One of the residents reportedly had friends from high school visiting.

According to police reports, the residents of the house went to bed leaving the victim alone with the visitors.

The student said an argument about sports teams broke out and one of the visitors told him to leave. The student refused and said he wanted to talk to one of the residents.

Before he could get upstairs, one of the visitors reportedly punched him in the face and then left.

The victim was treated for a laceration above his left eye at McCullough-Hyde Memorial Hospital.

Officers are following up on the case.

Sophomore caught with Brick Street radio

At 2:25 a.m. Sunday, Oxford police officers monitoring the crowd outside Brick Street bar observed two males shoving one another.

Officers asked them for identification and as one of them reached for his license, a cheeseburger in a white wrapper fell from inside his jacket. The individual, identified as Miami University sophomore Jordan Lesher, reportedly admitted he had not purchased the food.

The officer observed an antenna hanging from Lesher's pocket and Lesher said he didn't know what it was.

The officer found it was a handheld radio that belonged to one of the security workers at Brick Street.

Lesher reportedly told police a friend had given him the radio, but he did not give the friend's name.

Lesher was charged with receiving stolen property.