Staff

Traffic violation results in OVI, marijuana citations

Around 1 a.m. Friday, Oxford Police Department officers observed a gray Pontiac committing a traffic violation. The car was traveling southbound on South Campus Avenue and swerving to the left then the far right. Officers stopped the car and identified the driver as Miami University senior Andrew Klatzke, 20. Officers smelled a strong odor of alcohol in the car and Klatzke's eyes appeared glassy, according to police reports. Klatzke was asked to perform field sobriety tests, which he failed. He was taken back to the station and on his way back, officers brought the K-9 unit to do a free air sniff. The canine detected that there was a controlled substance in the car, according to reports. Officers searched the car and found a small plastic bag of marijuana behind the driver's seat. Klatzke refused a breath test and claimed he didn't know the vehicle he was in or the passenger he was with. Officers charged him with operating a vehicle under the influence and possession of marijuana. Klatzke was also placed under an administrative license suspension.

Female passes out on stairs near uptown bar, vomits

Around 12:30 a.m. Friday, Oxford Police Department officers responded to Heavy Hands Bar due to a reported intoxicated female. When the officers found the female, she was passed out on the steps and very slow to respond. Officers woke her as people were walking past her on the stairs. The female got up slowly and nearly fell over. The bar had called for an ambulance, which arrived soon after officers got to the bar. Officers walked her to the squad and once inside, she immediately started vomiting. The female was taken into the hospital for medical treatment and later identified as Miami University first-year Elizabeth Ward, 18. Ward was charged with underage intoxication and disorderly conduct.

Male says he went to party, forgot how to get home

Around 7 a.m. Sunday, Oxford Police Department officers were dispatched to the First Baptist Church on Ringwood Road. Officers saw a male on a chair that needed assistance. The male was identified as Miami University first-year, Tyler Smith, 18. Smith told officers he had been at a fraternity party the night before and got lost walking home. Smith was outside all night in a pirate costume and said all he remembered was walking through a cornfield. Officers smelled alcohol on his breath and Smith said he was drinking Natural Light beer. Smith was charged with underage drinking.