'Poke The Sieve' group hopes to disrupt goalies

Ben Garbarek

Miami University's Goggin Ice Center can be an intimidating place to play for many visiting hockey players, but one group of students is trying to start the intimidation before the puck drops.

A Facebook.com group called "Poke the Sieve" has been created to organize the pre-game pestering.

"It's a way to get into the other team's head," junior Shawn Sullivan said. "(It can) give them a preview of the Goggin."

Each week several hundred Miami students poke the opposing goaltender via Facebook the week leading up to his series with the RedHawks.

"If I was a goalie, it'd probably piss me off," Sullivan said.

RedHawk fans are not the only hockey fanatics turning to Facebook to intimidate opposing goalies.

Miami senior goaltender Charlie Effinger said almost every team on the RedHawks' schedule have resorted to similar tactics leading up to playing the 'Hawks.

"I get poked 30 to 40 times before an opposing game," he said. "It's the most annoying thing."

Although Effinger said smaller schools might only have five to 10 pokers, Miami's Facebook group currently boasts 459 members.

While these students aim to help the 'Hawks maintain their top ranking, some fear these tactics can motivate opposing players.

"It could (motivate the other team) but, honestly, they're playing (a top) team in the nation; they don't need any motivation," Sullivan said. "They're going to give their best anyway."

Miami junior and group member Roberto Bernetich agrees.

"I don't think (it gives opponents added incentive)," he said. "I think it gets in their heads and shows Miami fans are dedicated ... if you get 130 pokes it's going to get in your head."

Effinger said that while the incessant poking is frustrating, he doesn't let it bother him on the ice.

"A goaltender that's made it to this level has pretty thick skin," he said. "(You) take it with a grain of salt."

In case the poking wasn't enough, Bernetich said he started encouraging members to send the opposing goalie messages through Facebook, playing off of the popular post-goal celebratory chant, "sieve."

For the Miami/University of Michigan series, fans took it up a notch to get in the heads of the Wolverines.

In addition to taunting junior goaltender Billy Sauer with the standard poking, group members were given his University of Michigan e-mail address as well.

Even those outside the pipes weren't safe from the online harassment. Senior captain Kevin Porter's Facebook profile URL was distributed as well.

While these students aren't afraid to dish it out, on occasion it may come back from their intended target.

"When I was younger I'd poke back," Effinger admitted.

Bernetich's pestering came back at him as well.

"One of the goalies sent me a message back calling me a loser,"Bernetich said.

Although the RedHawks appreciate the enthusiasm off the ice, the spirit inside the Steve Cady Arena matters the most.

"Our students do a good job with signs," Effinger said. "I've seen some witty ones ... It's fun to go to the rink and see (what signs fans have)."

Miami has just three home games left, two against Western Michigan University and one against Ohio State University. The "Poke the Sieve" group is open to any member of the Miami network on Facebook.