Pearl Jam continues to fight the good fight

Erich Schrader

There were a lot of people who felt alienated by Pearl Jam's self-titled 2006 effort, despite its moody, electric vibe and hard-rocking hooks. Some may argue that was, in fact, the very thing that was unattractive to them.

Whether you are a fan of the newer, more alternative sound or an old-school 1990s grunge buff, Backspacer has something that will appeal to you. I promise.

Allow me to elaborate. Vedder and company debuted the song "Got Some" on the series premiere of Conan O'Brien's Tonight Show. It's heavy and forceful in a way that demands your attention while making you move your body at the same time. This particular song would fit in quite nicely with the band's '06 release: it's much more alternative and significantly less grunge than long-term Pearl Jams fans are accustomed to. But like I said, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The first radio single, "The Fixer," is one of the true gems on the new album. It's got an alt-rock vibe, but Vedder's vocals are far more potent than they've been in the better part of the last decade. Upon listening to the album for the first time, it's obvious why this track was chosen as the first real single. It's clearly the catchiest tune that Backspacer has to offer, and it incorporates an array of different rock aspects that can make it appealing to just about anybody who has ever heard of the Seattle-born rock gods. This particular track would not feel out of place on No Code or Binaural.

Even fans of the slower, more intimate tracks of Vitalogy have a few songs to celebrate. One of Backspacer's strongest moments comes in the form of the song "Amongst the Waves." Eddie Vedder's voice soars to heights and dips into the cavernous lows that even I thought he could no longer reach. Although guitarists Stone Gossard and Mike McCready are both recognizably present throughout the entire album, songs like this remind us why Pearl Jam is one the best and most powerful riff-laden bands in the world.

The album is not without its hidden surprises as well. Probably the most innovative and original track that the band has released in the last seven years, "Unthought Known" incorporates piano vibes and guitar hooks that make it stand out on the album as something unfamiliar yet inviting.

And therein lies the true charm of the album: at times, it is familiar and comfortable, while still sounding innovative and full of progress. At other times, it feels different and unfamiliar, but with an intoxicatingly inviting strength that makes it impossible to ignore.

As mentioned earlier, Backspacer has something for everybody; it may be the most eclectic compilation of songs the band has released since Riot Act, sometimes delving into a driving alter-ego, bringing their experience and influence over to the alternative rock realm. At other times, they display an artistic reach into the highest and most reverent of grunge lore, and trust me when I say that this is truly a place where Pearl Jam belongs.