Pavin errs in picking Woods

Matt Fitzgerald

Tiger Woods is the number one golfer in the world rankings. On paper, it would make sense that U.S. Ryder Cup Captain Corey Pavin would pick him with one of his four captain's picks to be on this year's squad when the team takes on the Europeans at Celtic Manor Resort in Wales.

It all looks fairly logical on the surface, until you consider a few things.

First: "Wait, isn't this the same guy who was always indifferent toward the Ryder Cup?" Yes, it is. 

And: "Wait, doesn't he have an all-time record of 10 wins, 13 losses and two ties in this very event?" Yes, he does.

Oh, by the way: "Wait … isn't his life still in shambles right now?" Mmm … pretty much.

This year, Woods has expressed an unprecedented desire to play on the team, and apparently did enough to convince Captain Corey to pick him.

Let's be honest … this sends a bad message. Why do people around the world often take issue with the United States? Mainly because many of us Americans choose to live very excessively, and rightfully so, but guess what? Our greatest global ambassador-athlete hybrid has become the poster-child for what happens to people in America when they feel a sense of invincibility, entitlement and have more net worth than most people could ever imagine. Unless you've been living under a rock, you know what the man has done, I'm sure!

In America, we also like to think we possess the best of the best and that we always win. Well, four of five Ryder Cup teams with Tiger Woods (the best of the best) on the roster wound up losing, and the one exception took a miraculous 45-foot putt by Justin Leonard. In 2008, the United States finally took the Cup back from Europe for the first time since 1999 … without Tiger.

The '08 U.S. team had a swagger that was absent in recent years, which could have been partially attributed to the fact that they didn't have the number one player in the world hovering over them. It seems more likely now than ever that Woods would create an awkward team dynamic because, really, what do you say to someone who fell so far so quickly?

Never mind the fact that Woods still faces the full forthcoming brunt of the European media, which is sure to be all over him with the United States being the road team. You don't think that might affect his mental game a little bit? As we've seen all year, even Tiger can't mentally block out all the personal turmoil he has gone through off the course since last Thanksgiving.

Woods has lost his mystique, his air of dominance and seemingly his famous will to win. Unfortunately, his selection suggests that if someone is the best at their profession, they will be accepted in the workplace, regardless of character.

Yes, another bad American stereotype, especially prevalent in sports. Keep feeding the monster, Captain Corey. They're ready to feast on the Tiger.