PAS to host 'Disenchanted' tomorrow

College students will remember with nostalgia the days of popping in their favorite Disney movie on VHS tape. Favorites might include the magic of "Sleeping Beauty," the fierceness of "Mulan" or the elegance of "Cinderella." On April 5, these regal beauties will undergo a serious change in the production of "Disenchanted."

Regarded as "funny and a touch wicked" by The Huffington Post, "Disenchanted" is a humorous hit musical in which the beloved Disney princesses undertake a sassy, spirited makeover.

"I personally think it will be hilarious and a great night to bring your friends and just have fun with," said Ellie Witter, assistant director of Miami's Performing Art Series, which is bringing the musical to campus. "I think it's an opportunity for students to laugh and enjoy world-class entertainment."

The idea for the show was conceived by Dennis Giacino, a former history teacher. When teaching a lesson about colonial settlement in Jamestown, Virginia, he began to wonder what the real Pocahontas would have thought about her portrayal in the 1995 Disney movie. From there, he began to reimagine other Disney princesses and how their stories could be modernized, and he wrote songs to tell the stories.

The show has received great acclaim around the country, being performed in major cities such as New York, San Francisco and Chicago.

In the tradition of inspiring little girls around the world, the Disney princesses in "Disenchanted" send a strong message of support to women everywhere.

"'Disenchanted' is a really fun and funny satire on Disney princesses, with a terrific message of empowerment for all women," said Patti Liberatore, director of the Performing Arts Series. "So it is definitely a must-see show for the ladies of Miami."

Characters in the show include Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Mulan, Belle and other classic Disney princesses.

Despite its seemingly innocent characters from wholesome films, "Disenchanted" imposes a bit of a raunchy spin on the classics. Due to the vulgar content, the program is not recommended for children under age 14.

The show will begin at 7:30 p.m. tomorrow at Hall Auditorium. Tickets are available at the cost of $24 for adults, $23 for seniors and $12 for students and children.