Oxford updates businesses

Jane Blazer, Community Editor

Oxford's local business scene can expect to see some minor changes as second semester comes to a close and thousands of Miami University students prepare to leave town.

According to Alan Kyger, Oxford's economic development director, few Oxford businesses that have closed have plans to re-open. However, new construction and businesses are brewing in Oxford.

Stadium Sports Bar and Grille, 16 S. Poplar St., is still currently closed, but owners are trying to make use of the building, according to Kyger.

"The owner is exploring different options at that site and has not gone in any one direction," Kyger said. "The site is for sale and, to my knowledge, it is not sold yet."

"Until it sells, they might try to force someone or try to make use of the site," Kyger said. "If someone wants to lease it short term, it might be a little of a hard thing to do."

Fuji Express, the new Japanese steakhouse-style restaurant, 5. W High St., is nearing its grand opening. With renovations near completion, it should be opening soon, Kyger said.

The future of the visibly out-of-business Princess movie theater it is still up in the air, according to Kyger.

"To our knowledge, the owner has still not sold the site," Kyger said. "We keep getting inquiries from people that are interested in taking it over and trying to get it open as a new theater."

Plans are in the works to construct a new building on South Beech Street, across from Stella 12 Beech. According to Kyger, it is going to be a commercial business on the first floor with one floor of student apartments above.

This Sunday, the new T.J. Maxx will open, Kyger said.

Recently, the old, abandoned Dairy Queen, located on College Corner Pike US 27, was sold to the City of Oxford, according to Kyger.

"That owner has now given that site to the city and hopefully soon, the city will take that structure down, and make it into a grass-area," Kyger said.