Oxford Township Trustee Candidate: G. Coe Potter (Incumbant)

Sam Kay, Editor in Chief

G. Coe Potter is one of three candidates running for Oxford Township Trustee. The following is an extended version of the interview published in the print edition.

What are some ways for Miami University students and Oxford Township to collaborate?

One of the big ways is that the City of Oxford is surrounded by a really pristine township from an agriculture, natural diversity standpoint, and if the students that are inclined to be involved in some of the conservation areas, that would be a great way for them to be involved … to volunteer for conservation and that sort of thing.

What is your approach to land use and conservation in Oxford Township?

I'm on the county planning commission and we have worked with the township and put together a land-use planning steering committee in 2007 and it took about a year – we came up with a cutting edge, pretty comprehensive land use plan, which is much more organic in nature than it is geometric in nature. With the natural aspects of our township, we've done an entirely different type of comprehensive land plan. What we're trying to do is conserve all of the natural areas... a big step toward making preserving our way of life and making it sustainable.

Historically, there were some zoning code issues that did not steer the township in the direction that the vast majority of people wanted to go. Conservation is much more appropriate than mere parceling

How would you approach working with the City of Oxford?

I think that collaborative efforts are very important, particularly in a time of shrinking revenue. This collaboration is really between the township, the city, and Miami University.  I've been a township trustee since back in February, when I was appointed to fill an unexpired term. I've had an opportunity to work with the city; basically, I've worked with every city manger since the first one. As far as working with the university, I'm a Miami grad, I've been highly involved, so we've had good collaborative efforts with them.

What makes you the best candidate?

Experience. I'm a lifelong resident in the township, served on the rural zoning commission, served on the county planning commission, served on the land-use steering committee for township and am a past president of the community improvement corporation. I have years and years and years of experience in dealing with the county, the city, the township, and the university.