Oxford Idol showcases talent

Miami University's a cappella groups and local solo artists grace the stage

Paige Sims

Miami University's a cappella groups and local solo artists grace the stage (Michael Pickering)

Oxford was in the presence of certain celebrities Saturday night, as 13 of the town's finest acts took the stage for the debut of Oxford Idol: An Oxford Community Talent and Variety Show.

The night began with kindergarten students from Kramer Elementary School performing a spirited rendition of "A New Work," showcasing the chicken dance as their No. 1 hit.

From the expressive chicken dance to soprano Bryn Chapman's performance of "The Queen of the Night," to performances by Miami University's own a cappella groups The Remnants and The Cheezies, a full house at Hall Auditorium demonstrated their approval through loud cheers and standing ovations.

"It really is amazing how much talent is hidden in this tiny Midwest town," said audience member Sharon Stevenson, a resident of nearby Brookville. "American Idol should come here for recruits."

Event coordinator Chris Adryan said that one of the strengths of the show was the array of performances as well as the range of ages represented by those in attendance.

"The response to the show was incredible." Adryan said. "There was such diversity in the ages of the audience members, and it was great that the acts were able to hold everyone's attention throughout the duration of the show."

Adryan said while he is uncertain as to how much money Oxford Idol brought in, he still feels as though the event's coordinators - the Miami Performing Arts Series, Miami-Talawanda Partnership and Kramer Elementary Parent Teacher Group - accomplished their initial goal of bridging the gap between Miami students and the Oxford community as a whole. Profits from the ticket sales were to go toward student programs at Kramer Elementary School.

Remnants singer David Rothzeid said he enjoyed the combination.

"It was a great crowd," Rothzeid said. "And singing to younger kids and parents is always rewarding, you get a much different response than when you sing to people of your own age."

Due to the success of the event, Adryan said he hopes to make Oxford Idol a semiannual event with hopes of that it will be continued with growing success every other year.

When he came up with the idea of a community talent show during a vacation to a small town in Michigan, Adryan said he had no idea that it would be such a success.

"To tell you the truth, I wasn't even expecting to get anyone (from the auditions)," Adryan said. "Instead we had 15 acts show up."

Those who missed the action Saturday night can visit www.YouTube.com and search "Oxford Idol" to see the highlights from the show.