Osborn shoots her way to scoring record

Miami University senior guard Courtney Osborn dribbles the ball up the court in a recent game. Osborn became the school’s all-time leader in points scored in a game against the University at Buffalo.

Justin Maskulinski, For The Miami Student

Miami University senior guard Courtney Osborn dribbles the ball up the court in a recent game. Osborn became the school’s all-time leader in points scored in a game against the University at Buffalo. (Alexander McFarland | The Miami Student)

Miami University Women's Basketball (15-10, 7-5) has a new all-time leading scorer.

Senior guard Courtney Osborn broke Amanda Jackson's (2003-2008) record of 1,979 points in a 69-56 win Wednesday night at the University at Buffalo (8-17, 6-6).

"It is a great accomplishment," Osborn said. "I am very proud."

Osborn said she believes the people she has been surrounded with have been the key to her record breaking career.

"I would not have had the opportunity to break the record without the coaches and players that I've been with these four years," Osborn said. "[Head Coach Maria Fantanarosa] trusted me to play point guard as a freshman and that is why I was able to break the record."

Fantanarosa said she believes the record has been earned through hard work and dedication.

"[Osborn] has been a dominant scorer for four years; she has earned the record," Fantanarosa said.

Osborn now holds the Miami record for three point field goals and for points. She is 66 field goals away from breaking Jackson's field goal record.

Osborn has averaged over 16 points per game in all four of her seasons at Miami. Every single game that Osborn has appeared in during her career has been a start.

"My teammates and coaches have been so supportive throughout my career," Osborn said. "It is a blessing."

Osborn is averaging over 17 points per game this season, her season high of 30 came against the University of Nevada at the Caribbean Classic in Mexico. This season Osborn has been the leading scorer for Miami in 16 of the 'Hawks 25 games.

Osborn's best scoring performance came last season at the University of Akron where she scored 48 points.

Senior forward Kirsten Olowinski has played with Osborn for all four years.

"It has been amazing to play with [Osborn]," Olowinski said. "Her hard work, dedication, and leadership have shown throughout the years."

Olowinski recollected that Osborn was viewed as a player with great potential her freshman year.

"Osborn was a talented freshman and we all knew it," Olowinski said.

The RedHawks also broke a three game conference losing streak in the process.

Osborn led the 'Hawks on Wednesday with 19 points. She did not break the record until the 16:48 mark of the second half, when she took a jump shot near the foul line to become the all-time leading scorer.

Osborn had limited minutes in the first half because she got into foul trouble early. Osborn was called for a questionable flagrant foul in the first half.

"Osborn was taking a few pushes before she threw the elbow," Fantanarosa said. "I was not frustrated with her."

She did not attempt her first shot of the game until seven minutes into the game. She tied the record with a three point shot with 8:44 left in the first half. Those three points were the only scored by Osborn in the first half.

Junior guard Haley Robertson scored eight points in the first half and finished with 15 points.

"Osborn, Olowinski, and Haley Robertson led the way for us tonight," Fantanarosa said.

Osborn took control in the second half, scoring 16 points- more than any other player had in the entire game.

The bench also made key contributions and Fantanarosa said that freshman guard Maddie McCallie, sophomore guard Courtney Larson, and junior center Kelsey Simon all gave "solid minutes."

Fantanarosa was satisfied with the record breaking night for Osborn as well as the win that broke the Red and White's three game skid.

"We needed to have a solid game on offense and defense and we did," Fantanarosa said.