Org prepares to open organic food store

Vince Alexander

The MOON (Miami Oxford Organic Network) Co-op is on track to open a local full-service grocery store in the spring of 2009.

According to Bernadette Unger, MOON board member, the store will be in Oxford, but MOON Co-op is currently still under negotiations for a location.

"We are hoping to open MOON Co-op sometime in the spring," Unger said, saying that since nothing is finalized yet, there is no word as to the final location of the store.

Co-ops, instead of being owned by a corporation, are owned by the community as member-owners, according to Unger.

"We already have 435 members within the community," said Rebekah Powers, MOON membership coordinator.

Unger said MOON Co-op will be a full-service grocery store that focuses on natural locally grown food. She said the co-op will constantly be changing its products according to the seasons. Products will include meat, produce, vegetables, self-care, and paper products.

"We will provide pasture-raised, local meet that is slaughtered humanely," Unger said. "It is difficult to get local foods, so we will be working closely with the farmers market."

Unger said member-ownerships come with a $150 price tag, which helps to cover the co-op's starting costs.

"We also get member loans through our Member Loan Program ranging from $1,000 to $25,000," Unger said.

According to Powers, there is a higher awareness on college campuses today of "green" programs, particularly as they affect local communities.

"The spectrum is ideally to use as much local and organic food as possible," Unger said.

Unger said that many people in the community, including Miami University students, are interested in foods not readily available at Kroger or Wal-Mart, such as fresh produce, eggs, dairy, and meat products.

"I think MOON Co-op is a great way to get in touch with the local population," said Miami junior Diogo Metz. "It will especially help health-conscious students who want to buy fresh produce at more affordable prices."

According to Unger the farmers market, held uptown Saturday mornings, is one source of healthy, locally-grown food-some of which MOON will be carrying.

According to Powers, full-time Miami students can become members of MOON for an annual special student price of $25.

Powers said MOON is a different way to invest in the community and bring people together.

"We encourage community members and Miami students to become involved with MOON Co-op," Unger said. "It is as much about the community as the food, and helping to improve the quality of life in Oxford."