Opinion | Students, community must come together to create school pride

Editorial Board

Saturday, Bowling Green State University (BGSU) defeated the Miami University RedHawk football team with a final score of 37-23. While the loss was disappointing, the team has many more opportunities to regain their wins. The RedHawks have two consecutive home games, with next Saturday's game against the University of Cincinnati.

Although Miami lost the game, the attendance was extraordinary. The game was sold out, with 20,828 people, the third-largest crowd since Yager Stadium was renovated in 2005. Tailgate Town was also well attended and the many enthusiastic fans helped promote school spirit.

Going to college football games and tailgates are a classic part of a college experience. The atmosphere of camaraderie is essential for building up school spirit and pride. The football game is not just limited to the players — many members of the Miami community are affected, as well. Cheerleaders, coaches, support staff, the band and the university as a whole are represented with each football game. Students, parents, alumni and community members must reach out to the football team and the university and support them by attending games. It can be viewed as disrespectful to not only the football players, but everyone else involved in the team, if attendance is low at games.

The Miami community must not give up on the RedHawks because of a slow start to the season. Don Treadwell is a first-year coach, and it is to be expected that with a new leader, players are still getting used to a new system. Fans must realize that there will continue to be growing pains for the team this season.

Now, more than ever, student support is vital for the success of not only RedHawk athletics, but the university as well . Associated Student Government (ASG) and the Resident Hall Association (RHA), as well as the Greek community and other student organizations must reach out to promote athletics on every level, not just football. With strong outreach, organization and student inclusion, Miami athletic events can become an important part in many more students' college experiences. School pride can be infectious and spread like wildfire: all it needs is a little push and some faith in the next game.