Opinion | Response to column misses the greater argument, message

Ty Gilligan, Columnist

This is a rebuttal to Mr. Clark's response to the article I published Feb. 7 regarding the Komen Foundation's relationship with Planned Parenthood.

The author completely neglected to see that I was specifically discussing women's health services, such as OB/GYN, breast examinations, contraceptives, etc., which was the purpose of this article.

I agree churches are extremely charitable organizations. I am a member of a church and I tithe a portion of my meager income yearly to assist my church in its charitable activities.

However, the article was not focusing on the generosity of churches; it was discussing the illogical arguments made by religious organizations in regards to their opposition to Planned Parenthood.

Therefore, the response was not properly warranted, and perhaps should not have been published.

I agree that religious organizations do operate a large number of hospitals and clinics, however, it is important to point out that the majority are not free.

The statistic that 18 percent of all hospital beds are owned by religious organizations is true, but most of them are for-profit hospitals, which happen to be run by religious organizations. So this argument is completely beside the point.

The writer stated that I made an "unfounded" attack on "churches, specifically Christian churches" (side note: is there any other religion that calls its place of worship a "church"? Yes, I was clearly talking about Christian churches).

The author was seemingly offended at my criticism of Christians in America and trying to nitpick one sentence of my article.

It is fine if a reader disagrees with my general ideology regarding a topic, but attacking my writing and research style is inappropriate and unfounded.

During the past two years, I've published well-written and well-researched articles for which I receive no compensation, nor a rebuttal until now.

I have proven my dedication to producing knowledgeable and factually correct articles, for the sake of scholarly advancement and critical thought dialogue, through the context of student media.

I urge The Miami Student readers to remember to place all details and arguments within an Editorial or Opinion article within context of the article.

Single sentences and arguments cannot be confused as arguments alone by themselves, but must be understood within the context of the greater argument presented.

I will not make any retraction. I will not humor an attempt to distract from the greater argument presented.

Every sentence of every one of my articles is one I would stand by; otherwise, I would have not have submitted them for publication.