Opinion | Redskins logo: since when?

Edward Jones, Professor Emeritus jonesee@muohio.edu

Miami's decision to retire the most elegant logo in all of university sports is a great disappointment. There has been no real dialogue or input from those negatively affected, and no regard for significant historical realities regarding the logo, the Miami Tribe and the logo's presence on campus. There have been unfortunate omissions and simplifications regarding the logo, and a recent The Miami Student online poll showed approximately 90 percent favoring its retention. It was not created during the time of mascot transition in 1997 as suggested by the director of business services (The Miami Student, Jan. 10), but graced athletic facilities and licensed Miami products long before then. It is still revered by Miami alumni. 

On the Miami webpage titled Identity Standards, the logo in question is identified and partially described as follows:

"Indian Head: Symbol of the university's ties to the Miami Tribe. Dignified portrait of Miami Indian brave from the original work by John Ruthven. Appropriate for use on materials related to Miami's heritage and athletic tradition."

Does this sound like something the university wants to eliminate? This elegant symbol was not the "Redskins logo," but conveniently became that when a particular group on campus decided that an opportunity was at hand to eliminate the only remaining Native American identity associated with Miami sports. But the tribe's request for mascot change some 13 years ago also included an appeal for retention of the traditional logo. How can Miami University justify retaining its name after denying the wishes of the Miami tribe, devaluing native heritage and eliminating the "symbol of the university's ties to the tribe?"