Opinion | Pedestrians and drivers should both be conscious on the road

Matt Frazier (Student Body Vice President) & John McCandless (MUPD Chief), fraziem2@muohio.edu & mccandjm@muohio.edu

On the streets that pass through and around campus, it seems that pedestrians more frequently are being injured by drivers, or are having close calls.

The recent serious accident involving a first-year student and the previous injury of a faculty person in the same Patterson Ave. crosswalk last March are just two examples.

We encourage both walkers and drivers to be more alert to their surroundings.

More drivers are distracted, whether it's using a cell phone or multitasking while driving.

Pedestrians are also often listening to music, chatting or checking their cell phones when they step into the street instead of checking for vehicles.

You may have noticed some of the six temporary signs that are on busy crosswalks around campus.

Miami University is using these to remind drivers that Ohio law mandates yielding to pedestrians in a crosswalk.

Miami University police officers have been instructed to be more assertive regarding vehicular traffic stops for crosswalk violations as well as pedestrian law enforcement of street crossing outside of marked crosswalks.

Walkers, remember, it takes time to stop a car. At 35 miles per hour, a driver will need about 136 feet to react and then come to a complete stop. You don't want to test that. We urge people, young and old, to remember the adage, "Look both ways before you cross the street."

We don't want any member of the Miami community to put themselves at risk of serious injury.