Opinion | Kim Jong-II's successor burdens North Korea's international policy

Charles Lee, leec2@muohio.edu

This winter break, an important event occurred that could have possibly changed the geopolitical situation of the Korean peninsula. Kim Jong-Il died a sudden death Dec. 17.

He allegedly died in a train from "physical and mental over-work." Years ago, multiple pictures displayed his frail health and the international community was worried that a sudden death of a tyrant would turn the country into an unstable environment. His powerful reign was then turned to his youngest son, Kim Jong-Un. However, many neglected to look to his first-born son, Kim Jong-Nam, the one who was supposed to inherit the dictatorship instead of his brother.

A Japanese reporter for Tokyo's major newspaper, Tokyo Shimbun, met Kim Jong-Nam in Beijing's airport in 2004 by coincidence. It all started with a friendly email exchange between the two: the connection was intermittent until October 2010, when Kim Jong-Nam requested the reporter release his story to the public and in return, he would answer the reporter's questions with all honesty.

Simultaneously, in North Korea, Kim Jong-Il announced that his youngest son, not his elder sons, would succeed to the throne.

Kim Jong-Nam said his father's decision of Jong-Un as his successor was neither planned nor wanted; and even though Jong-Nam said it was inevitable and unfortunate, he understood that his father was afraid the North Korean system would be in turmoil by multiple factions.

Yet, he still he foresaw the succession of Kim Jong-Un as an unsuccessful attempt because he believed Jong-un would be overwhelmed by other power elites. It was doubtful that the elites felt loyalty to such a young and inexperienced leader.

Kim Jong-Nam himself admitted the reason why he was not chosen to be next for throne: his liberal ideas that he gained from his time abroad in Switzerland made him a "threat" in the eyes of his father. His father thought he became too aware of capitalism because he suggested a number of reforms such as market opening and integrating with the international society.

He believed that continuous denial to the international system, especially with the nuclear missile development projects, would further darken the future for the country and its people. He wasn't shy to say what he believed in to his reigning father and as a result, he "fell out his nest" and was exiled to Macau, where he currently resides.

The personal account of Kim Jong-Nam tells an explicit truth about the future of North Korea. Even the most educated and highest elites of the regime have defected and realized the grim future. It is simply not a sustainable system and the Kim family continues to deprive the lives of North Korea's people.