Opinion | Internet matters in hunt for jobs

Samantha Friedman, friedms3@muohio.edu

First impressions really can make or break you, especially when it comes to the job market. Don't think for a minute that wearing a provocative outfit or forgetting to clean up your Facebook won't hurt you. Even cleaning it up might not be enough.

Students assume that pictures while taken out or at bars where they appear intoxicated but have no alcohol showing is OK. But is it? There was a survey done by Harris Interactive and CareerBuilder of 2,667 human resource workers that found more than half identified provocative photos as the largest contributor in a decision not to hire a potential employee or intern.

Many career centers on college campuses are urging students to make their pictures private and delete any default pictures that could be negative. Keep them rated PG, playing on a sports team, school pictures or pictures with friends or family.

Even hiding pictures might not make them completely disappear, so be cautious.

With the new wave of technology and social marketing in our society today, students may feel like it's okay to share every part of their life because everyone is. People may feel like they're going to miss something if they don't log on every day, multiple times a day. Some students even delete their Facebook account during their job search. It's not a bad idea. By deleting it, you don't run the risk of losing a job opportunity.

There was an article posted on hercampus.com listing all kinds of tips for cleaning up your Facebook account. According to Hercampus.com, it may be obvious to students that posting a status with bad language or drug references is not a good idea, but even your political views and other information can be judged. The main image portrayed on your Facebook should be professionalism.

"In addition, use your quotes and interests sections on your FB (Facebook) page to enhance your chances of getting a job by presenting information relevant to the job you are applying for," the site said. Basically, create a job-friendly Facebook account that can enhance your employment chances instead of hurting them.

LinkedIn is another social networking site that was created for job networking. LinkedIn doesn't allow picture uploading and the other social aspects of Facebook. It offers the ability to join groups to help find jobs, list previous work experience and get connected with people in a desired field and past employers. It's basically the professional version of Facebook.

One great thing you can do on it is join your university's alumni group and post asking about the kind of career you are looking for to see what other alumni are doing.

You can also see what jobs certain cities have to offer. Using your school's alumni network is a tried and true method of job hunting.

The job market is rough enough right now. One easy way to avoid hurting yourself is to clean up your Facebook and keep a professional image on the Internet.

This includes Twitter, blogs and LinkedIn. Just ask yourself what your grandma would say about those pictures of you bonging beers.