Opinion | American values shine through in Boston Tragedy

Carson Drake, Columnist

Peace. It is something everyone longs for in life, especially in times of tragedy and loss. For 117 years, one of the most historic races, the Boston Marathon, operated in peace. As with most acts of terror, the bombings that occurred on Patriots' Day attempted to disrupt the harmony of one of the greatest and most historic cities in the United States.

It would be wrong to suggest the sickening actions of an individual(s) failed to inflict momentary distress on the 23,000 runners and thousands of spectators. However, they did not succeed in breaking the character of Boston, or its people.

President Obama appropriately recognized the city and its people as resilient. Resiliency is ingrained in the lives of Bostonians. It was their resiliency that allowed them to halt the British advance at the Battles of Lexington and Concord. There is a reason residents of Massachusetts continue to celebrate Patriots' Day and Paul Revere's ride with such passion - it's their holiday.

Bostonians have always been resilient and they always will be.

Horrific attacks of this nature show people the frailty of life.

The heroic responses of ordinary individuals in light of tragedy reveal the good nature of humanity.

The vast majority of people on this earth possess the ability to be kind, courteous and loving. Granted there are evil doers who exist in this world.

For me, stories of the courageous acts of Marathon participants in the face of evil and tragedy restore the faith I have in humanity. The resiliency of Bostonians was shown in the many participants who crossed the finish line and continued running toward hospitals to donate blood without hesitation.

They had just completed a grueling 26.2-mile run, and their first thought was not to sit and rest, it was to keep running in order to help the injured. Incredible.

The good in the majority of people will always outweigh the evil in the few.

As I scrolled through the multiple news networks covering the attack, I continued to see the exact same thing. On every channel, I saw the positives in humanity; I saw the true character of Boston. Through all the horror and bloodshed of innocents, I witnessed the affectionate, kindhearted nature that is synonymous with Boston's people. The actions of complete strangers putting themselves in harm's way to help those in need significantly overshadowed the terror inflicted by the bombs. In times of tragedy, we respond by mourning the losses of the three people who passed away and we pray for the quick recovery of the 130 or so injured. Bostonians responded by opening their homes to complete strangers.

This tragedy will not spread fear as attacks often try to do. Americans are too proud to allow that to happen.

In the presence of darkness, the courage, compassion, loyalty and strength of the marathoners and police officers provided light for the world to see. It is a testament to the goodness of humanity.

The unspeakable acts of a coward will never destroy the pride of Boston, nor will they divide the citizens of this incredible country.

As America has done so many times before in moments of despair, I'm confident this country will emerge brighter and stronger than before. After all, it is ingrained in our nature.