Online employment must be perfected

Editorial Editors

Miami University has debuted a new application and employment system attempting to make the process smoother and more efficient than the previous method. In order to apply for a position, students are required to create an online account and fill out an electronic application.

The new process allows students to apply for a job from any location at any time and shortens the time required of the hiring process. However, although the system has advantages, it still needs to be polished and adjusted to meet all the needs of employers and students.

The editorial board of The Miami Student is excited for the new process. Online applications are a convenient and efficient means of organizing student employment. The idea is beneficial not only to students, but also to employers as it streamlines the entire hiring process.

However, as with any new procedure, there are some complications that are detrimental to both students and employers. Students are able to apply to multiple jobs and must independently notify employers of their intent to decline a specific job offer. The editorial board suggests implementing an option where students can either accept or decline an offer online within a certain amount of time. Currently, the process is a bit confusing and can become complicated when students apply for several jobs.

The online system also utilizes uniform applications, but the board believes it is necessary to provide specific options depending on the qualifications required of each position. Certain jobs demand particular knowledge of an area, and this must be indicated in an application.

Communication between students and employers is vital to the entire process. Moving to an online system can be a difficult adjustment to make, but it is important to have more personal interactivity between employer and student, ensuring satisfaction on both ends.

The editorial board is eager to witness the progression of the online system and believes it is headed in the right direction. With some perfecting, the system will certainly be an asset to Miami employment.

Amusement article hurtful, offensive

I am writing this letter in response to the article "The First Year's Guide to Miami Lingo." Truthfully, I was highly offended by this article. I understand that nowadays sarcasm is a popular tool that most people keep in their rhetorical toolbox that has become more and more popular due to The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and The Colbert Report. I love and understand sarcasm and oftentimes find it to be absolutely hilarious. However, there is a difference between sarcasm and scornfulness. When sarcasm crosses that line into scornful territory, it's not longer funny, just bitter and that was definitely the image that was painted in said article. I feel as if the article was directed at institutions, organizations and people that have previously come into contact with the author and her associates. I believe in a society where people should be careful with the words they choose because words are the most powerful tools we have and you cannot retract them. So please, be mindful to know the line between sarcasm and scornfulness because once you cross it, there is no getting back. In the case of this article, you have seriously offended and alienated several people the article pokes at while at the same time setting a poor example for the impressionable first-years to follow.

In time for the new school year, Miami University tries to curb alcohol use. If that's the case, why would you write an article for The Miami Student on the Morning Sun Cafe promoting that they serve alcohol? It's great to promote a local business and report their recent expansion, but it would be best to ignore their Bloody Mary's and mimosas.

Meditating upon this semester's visit of Mr. Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama, I'd like to suggest that you use the event as an opportunity to consider the reasons that we take the opinions of one human being more seriously than the ideas voiced by any other member of our species. Tenzin is the most influential member of a particular Buddhist sect and, according to many Tibetans, is the reincarnation of the 13th Dalai Lama, who made his terminal contribution to the carbon cycle in 1933. He says a lot of very good things in public: he isn't fond of our panoptic insistence on destroying nature, thinks that we should avoid nuclear war and suggests we show some sense when considering the ethics of abortion (the circumstances are important). The problems begin, however, when people believe that Tenzin has some special insights by virtue of his status as a living deity. I am 100 percent sure that reincarnation does not occur (because I am sane), and, in my humble opinion, find no objective reason to believe that Tenzin is alive in 2010 for any reason that differs from the fact of your persistence. If you think that he is a special kind of mammal, then it might be worth considering why you think so. To help this neocortical exercise I'd like to introduce you to a young lady who works as a bank teller. I'll call her Angelina because she's fictional. Angelina worries about the future of the planet, doesn't want to see mushroom clouds over Cincinnati and is pro-choice. Despite Angelina's neo-Buddhisty opinions, customers never bow before her before asking to cash a check, nor ask her about the meaning of life. That's because she isn't a celebrity and nobody other than her submissive boyfriend (let's call him Brad) thinks she's a goddess. There's nothing wrong with celebrity worship; after all, I cannot wait for Lindsey Lohan to opine about global climate change in her lyrical tweets. I'm simply urging you to think carefully about the basis of the reverence afforded to Tenzin Gyatso and, while you're at it, apply the same uncommon sense to other entities that millions of people regard as deities. Think for yourself and challenge everything that doesn't make sense. That's why Miami exists and that's the reason that we are here.

Miami Athletics

Reds win

Victory is sweet for the Reds over the Cubs.

Gorgeous weather

Does fall have to come so soon?

Bedbugs

The infestation is sweeping the nation. Is Miami next?

Frisky first-years

The police reports are not stacking up in your favor.

Bike confusion uptown

Oxford Police Department is watching for bike law rebels.

Mega Fair success

The great turn out makes the staff of The Miami Student excited for new contributors!

Sidewalk repairs on Western

Step on a crack, break Swoop's back!