Obama rallies with supporters, receives endorsement in Cincinnati

Cincinnati Mayor Mark Mallory at the University of Cincinnati.

Jordan Kessler

Cincinnati Mayor Mark Mallory announced his endorsement of Barack Obama (D-Ill.) to a crowd of 13,000 during a rally at the University of Cincinnati Monday.

Mallory said his support stems from similarities he sees between himself and Obama.

"People told me I did not have enough experience," Mallory said before he introduced the Illinois senator. "People told me I don't know how things work. People told me I was offering just words, and they're telling him (Obama) the same thing. Barack Obama is offering hope that inspires people and motivates people. That's why I have decided to give my endorsement to Barack Obama."

After thanking Mallory for his support, Obama spoke as to why Ohioans should vote for him in the March 4 primary.

"The American people, they don't want to feel let down anymore," Obama said. "They want to feel as if their leadership is listening to them and concerned about them. So what I've been telling the American people is that I'll fight for you. I want to fight for you."

The long-awaited endorsement from Mallory came at a critical time for the Obama campaign. The Ohio Poll, released Monday, showed Obama trailing rival Hillary Clinton in Ohio by 8 percentage points among likely Democratic primary voters. The poll, a University of Cincinnati project started in 1981, claims to have correctly predicted Election Day results in 34 of 34 statewide polls.

Yet, Mallory's support is more than just words as it stands for his pledge to vote for Obama as a superdelegate at the Democratic National Convention (DNC). The more than 700 superdelegates at the DNC-who are seen as party leaders in local, state and national settings-have the ability to vote contradictory to public opinion in order to influence the party's nomination for presidential candidate.

In his speech, Obama cited his decision to run for president as one of urgency, as well as a desire to fix the failed policies of the Bush administration.

"We cannot wait to fix schools, healthcare, bring back jobs and good wages, bring an end in this war in Iraq; we cannot wait,"he said.

Obama also said if elected the Democratic nominee, he is ready to take on Republican front-runner, John McCain (R-Ariz.), in November.

"(McCain) has embraced the Bush economic policy and he has said we will stay as long as it takes in Iraq," Obama said. "We don't need more failed politics of the past. We need a politics of the future."

After the rally Monday, Miami senior Karmen Page said her vote for Obama via absentee ballot remained a good choice.

"I am still glad that I voted for him," Page said. "He might actually be able to pull from Independents, Republicans and Democrats. He might truly have a chance to win the presidential election and bring together a country that is really torn right now."

After the rally Monday, Obama traveled to Dayton for another rally. The campaign will make one more stop in Ohio this week at the Ohio State University.

Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama with supporters Monday night at the University of Cincinnati.