Numbers dip for formal recruitment

By Lauren Oliver, For The Miami Student

The number of Miami females registered for the 2015 Panhellenic Recruitment, which began Friday night, is down by more than 200 girls from last year, members of the Panhellenic Association executive board said. Last year's recruitment saw record-high numbers, with more than 1,400 participants.

Although that may sound problematic for pledge class quotas and anticipated sorority dues, Panhellenic President Caitlin Duckworth said last year's registration was the outlier, not this year's. She also said that while registration numbers are important, retention is their main focus throughout the formal recruitment process.

"We're hoping that although our numbers are down, we can make it up in retention rates this year," Duckworth said.

The Greek community has been growing on Miami's campus for years, which ultimately has a profound effect on the housing situation.

Traditionally, Greek women live on Central Quad - also referred to as "Sorority Quad" - during sophomore year, as that is where their suites are located. However, space is limited and, as numbers grow, many girls have had to live elsewhere on campus.

This year, certain chapters were placed on North Campus in Hahne Hall, which is inconveniently located from their sorority suites.

To help alleviate the issue, Panhellenic worked in congruence with several residence life organizations at Miami.

"Together, we decided that we're going to do split corridors with a few chapters," Duckworth said. "Some of them are going to be in Etheridge … and some of them will be in Central Quad, and that's to help keep everyone together."

Along with changes in housing, there will be improvements in the organization of recruitment and branding of Panhellenic, with the new slogan of "Great Women Go Greek," as championed on this year's recruitment T-shirts.

Furthermore, Panhellenic voted to completely restructure formal recruitment. Philanthropy Round will be second, and Sisterhood Round will be third - swapped from the order of previous years.

"We felt this change was necessary because Sisterhood is the core of all sororities and the bond between the women in each sorority can be the deciding factor for many women participating in recruitment," Bianca Misti, vice president of Recruitment, said, referring to the Sisterhood Round's new timing to Preference Round, when women make their final decisions.

Additionally, they will no longer include the traditional skit performances. Duckworth said National Panhellenic unanimously agreed that a "values-based" and "no-frills" recruitment was in the best interest of the sisterhood.

"We wanted to eliminate any flashy entertainment or decorations so that the purpose of recruitment is to get to know the women, and really choose an organization based on the women, and their values, and where you really fit in," Duckworth said.

Not only were the skits straying from the main point of promoting values, but they were not a good mechanism for teaching women about the core of each chapter. Instead, it felt scripted.

Duckworth said rather than having artificial conversations through a skit, they wanted to use that time to focus on organic conversations with active members. National Panhellenic supported this decision.

"The fact that Miami can do that and we have such a strong Panhellenic system here is really a good representation and a good model for other Panhellenics across the country," she said.

Although there is new structuring, members of Panhellenic said they are looking forward to the new changes and encourage women to come into the process with an open mind. Not only is joining a sorority an opportunity for lasting friendships, Misti said, but it can also open the door for professional growth.

"I have been able to meet women in my chapter from all over the country and in turn have expanded my professional network," Misti said. "Even further … being a member of my chapter has made me the woman I am today and for that I will be forever grateful."