News Briefs

Campus Editors, The Miami Student

Hip Hop scholar to speak on pop culture

James Peterson, assistant professor of English at Bucknell University and founder of Hip Hop Scholars, LLC, will present "H.E.R. Story: The Narratives of Hip Hop Culture"   at Miami University Feb. 24.

Peterson's work focuses on Africana studies, narrative, graphic novels and Hip Hop culture. He began Hip Hop Scholars, LLC as an association of scholars who research Hip Hop, urban and youth cultures.

His talk will discuss the history of Hip Hop culture and its connections to Black diaspora and Africana studies. Peterson has appeared as on CNN, MSNBC, ESPN and other television networks as an expert on Hip Hop culture, popular culture, urban youth, race and politics. He is also a regular contributor to The Root.com.

This event, a part of Miami's Black History Celebration, is sponsored by the  Black History Celebration committee and the Office of Diversity Affairs.

It will begin at 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 24, in 115 Shideler Hall.

Business school to host charity golf tournament

The Farmer School of Business (FSB) will be hosting their third annual Farmer School Golf Classic on Saturday, April 24 at the Weatherwax Golf Course in Middletown.

After being inspired in a business course taught by Miami University graduate Pat O'Brien, two Miami business students started the tournament in 2008. Since then, the tournament has raised more than $30,000 for charities. This year, the committee has chosen to donate proceeds from the event to a local charitable organization, the Tri-State Habitat for Humanity. It will be a shotgun start at 1:30 p.m. with lunch beforehand at 12 p.m. The cost to participate is $50 for students, $70 for faculty and $100 for alumni and other friends of Miami. For more details, contact Mackenzie Bruce at (614) 570-0430 or bruceml@muohio.edu.

Dean finalist meeting rescheduled

The Miami University Hamilton open session to meet and greet regional dean finalist, David Pearson, has been rescheduled.

The original session, scheduled for Wednesday, Feb. 17 is now rescheduled for Friday, Feb. 19 from 1-2 p.m. The location is to be announced. David Pearson is one of the three finalists for the dean of regional campuses and hails from the University of Texas where he is the special assistant to the provost. Dean finalist Michael G. Pratt greeted the public in an open session held last week and dean finalist Kevin Corcoran open session details are to be determined.