News briefs

Miami alum receives national writing award

Rajiv Joseph, a 1996 Miami University alumnus, was awarded a national writing award for his talent and promise as a rising writer. Joseph received a $50,000 prize for the Whiting Writer's award Oct. 28 in New York City. He was one of nine young writers recognized at the Morgan Library and Museum. Joseph graduated with a degree in English from Miami and attended New York University's Tisch School of the Arts for a degree in fine arts. He is the playwright of "Animals Out of Paper," "Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo" and "Gruesome Playground Injuries."

Physics department to host open house, speaker

Miami University's department of physics will celebrate Miami's Bicentennial with an open house from 5 to 7:15 p.m. Thursday in Culler Hall.

The open house will feature tours of research laboratories, a display of old-time lab instruments and a video of the department's history.

The Arfken Physics Scholar-in-Residence Lecture will follow at 7:30 p.m. in 46 Culler Hall. "Fate and the Physicists" will be presented by Julio Gea-Banacloche, professor of physics at the University of Arkansas.

Gea-Banacloche will discuss the current understanding of what may be called the "creative freedom" of the physical world. He is a fellow of the American Physical Society and an associate editor of Physics Review A.

For more information contact Teresa Kolb at (513) 529-8567.

MU hosts Psychology Awareness Week events

School Psychology Awareness Week will run from Nov. 9 to Nov. 13, and Miami University's psychology department is helping to promote it through information sessions and bake sales set up throughout the week.

The information sessions will take place at 7 p.m. Nov. 11 at 125 Psychology Building and at 7 p.m. Nov. 17 in 322 McGuffey Hall. The bake sales will take place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Nov. 11 and 12 on the second floor of McGuffey Hall.