News briefs

1809 Room housed in Goggin temporarilyRenovations are continuing on the former 1809 Room located in Shriver Center to become the new One Eight 09 Room. A temporary 1809 Room is located in the Goggin Ice Center clubroom and opened Monday. It will serve as an alternative location for faculty and staff.

The temporary 1809 Room will be open from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. The buffet will include two soups, a salad bar, an entree, dessert and beverages for $7. There will also be a soup and beverage combo for $5.

The 10 percent discount for those using payroll deduction will still be in effect.

Writing contest opens to first-year students

First-year students have an opportunity to turn their knowledge from the summer reading program into cash with a composition contest through the Howe Writing Center and Office of Liberal Education.

Students are asked to compare the poems within What Learning Leaves by Taylor Mali to goals within their own lives and submit a composition to the Howe Writing Center.

The competition begins Sept. 1. More information is available on the writing center's Web site at http://www.units.muohio.edu/writingcenter. 

Journalism professor publishes children's book

Miami University journalism professor Jim Tobin recently published his first children's book, Sue McDonald Had a Book.

The style is based loosely on the popular "Old McDonald Had a Farm" children's song, following a young girl as she learns her vowels. The book follows the rhythm of the poem, enabling young readers to sing along to the words in the story.

Tobin said inspiration came after hearing his daughter repeatedly sing the song.

After realizing A-E-I-O-U would fit into E-I-E-I-O format, Tobin came up with the plot for the book.

The book with illustrations took 18 months to complete and is on sale now. Tobin has written two other books and is working on a fourth.