New tour route to cater to handicapped

Austin Fast

Most students remember that rite of passage of coming to Miami University for the first time and taking an hour and a half stroll around campus for a tour, but what happens if prospective students are unable to get a glimpse of the sample residence hall room set up in Scott Hall?

Tim McCue, the graduate resident director in Tappan Hall, explained that students from an EDP 272 (Intro to Disability Studies) class in the fall participated in group projects on issues related to physical accessibility in Oxford. One group in particular realized that Miami's tours were not completely accessible and recently met with the Office of Admission to campaign for change.

According to Laurie Koehler, director of admissions, campus tours currently offer a slightly altered route for anyone who tours the campus in a wheelchair.

However, this alternative route does not allow the visitors to tour a residence hall.

Sophomore Matt Hoffman recently began working as a campus tour guide and led his first solo tour April 19. He said he was caught off-guard when a student using a wheelchair joined the tour.

"It was a little unexpected because she joined at the last moment," Hoffman said. "It was difficult because I knew the tour route, but was still learning it and I had to consciously think about it. It was a little overwhelming as it was my first tour."

Hoffman explained that the parents of the student raised several questions about accessibility at Miami.

Hoffman said he feels that this change in accessibility of tours is a positive step for Miami.

"It will make the tours easier, but more importantly, it shows that Miami is addressing issues of students who come to Miami with disabilities," Hoffman said.

Koehler explained that the physical facilities department will modify Scott Hall to be accessible shortly after the spring 2008 finals week, so a new integrated tour can take all visitors into a residence hall beginning this summer.

She also explained that the interest in campus tours allowed the Office of Admission to take a closer look at other aspects of campus tours to ensure that the tour is the best it can possibly be.

"In addition to the eventual addition of Scott Hall to all tours, we've also examined curb cuts and routing that may have been less than friendly for visitors with physical disabilities," Koehler said. "We will be altering the route to incorporate more usable paths."

McCue added that a more accessible campus will benefit not just students with disabilities, but also senior citizens and disabled veterans who visit Miami.

"The population and definition of disability have continued to broaden," McCue said. "In the future, more and more pieces of the population will benefit from having a completely accessible tour."